Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2006, 05:47 PM

Default $20+2 WSOP $200 satellite at Paradise

There's a caveat before I post. I really don't care if I win or not, as I didn't realize this was a WSOP satellite until play had started. Since I can't play in the satellite, I'll deal with the folks at Paradise later about that. But I'm still playing to win, although maybe I'll get questioned about that after you read this hand.

All from memory. There's 6 players left -- three short stacks under 800, myself with roughly 1,600, and the two big stacks at 3,000 and 2,600.

Big Stack 2 is UTG and makes it 600 to go. I've got 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BS2 loves to donk-bet post flop with marginal hands and gives up easily. I've pushed him off hands at least twice with mediocre hands, with stuff like middle and 2nd pair.

I call, everyone else folds and the flop comes QJx, with two diamonds. BS2 donk bets the minimum of 200, and I know he's not thrilled with his hand. I'm going to smooth call the flop and push the turn if he donk bets again.

The turn is actually a good card -- it's a brick diamond, putting a flush on the board and giving me potential outs in the event I'm behind. I'm prepared to ditch if he shows aggression, but it's another donk bet of 200, and I push.

He calls, showing 99. Worse, he has a diamond. Naturally, I don't improve and I bust out.

I'd like to think that if I called the turn and push to a river check, I take it down. Should I have deviated from how I played previous hands with BS2 and raised him out of the pot on the flop?

How would you have handled this, knowing what you do about BS2?