Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2006, 09:40 AM

Default $30 QQ preflop facing big action

This hand happened a few weeks ago, before I found this site, and i'm quoting it from memory without a HH.

I'm playing a $30 sng on paradise when this hand came up. Blinds are 25/50, 9 handed. Table has seemed pretty textbook pf, and post-flop play has been wary. I've played pretty quietly, showing only one hand so far, AK which I raised pf, caught a K on the flop and value bet it all the way. My stack is average, with about 1250.

I'm UTG+1 and pick up QQ.

UTG with 1000 chips raises to 100. I reraise to 400. Everyone folds to the button. Button raises all-in and has us both covered. UTG instacalls.

I'm facing a 800 call for a 2725 pot. Getting better than 3 to 1 with pocket queens. UTG has been very quiet so far, getting involved pf in only a couple of hands, and typically folding when action gets too hot. Button has been aggressive pf and trappy postflop.

What should I do? What hands do I put them on? Is it too tight to fold here, even if I think i'm beat?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Re: $30 QQ preflop facing big action

If you say that the table has been playing fairly tight, then I would venture a guess that you are behind here. It takes some hand for a tight player to move in against an UTG raise and accompanying re-raise (by you), especially given it's still 9-handed and the blinds are still low. So, in answer to your question, I don't think it's too tight to fold here.

I'm usually too narrow on my ranges, but I'd go something like...

UTG - 99+, AQ+
BTN - TT+, AK
Old 06-11-2006, 12:32 PM

Thanks for your reply.

The 2x BB open raise made by UTG seemed to me like a weak raise from a mid-pair, something like 99. I made it 400 to go expecting everyone to fold to UTG, who I imagined would have a tough decision to make.

The all-in push from the button did come from the most aggresive player at the table, but I instantly thought the raise was legit. He has to read my reraise as coming from a Group 1 or close hand. My immediate impression is that he expected and wanted a call.

When UTG instacalled I was pretty suprised.

In the end, I mucked my QQ, and saw UTG turn over KK and the button AA! How often does that happen, AA, KK and QQ all in the same hand?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:54 PM

I fold this. Someone's got AA or KK or even AK and I really don't like risking my stack for at best a coin flip this early. At the $11 or $6 I might call (probably not me) but I'm guessing at the $30 they play better.