Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Table Talk Ruling Against \"Yukon\" Brad Booth

[ QUOTE ]
I believe talking about your own hole cards is verboten specifically to prevent collusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is it is verboten if you specifically mention what you have.

If I say, "I can beat your kings," that is OK. If I say, "I have pocket kings," that is bad.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the description is accurate, then this is a bad ruling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Scooty Nguyens hand should have been declared dead when he said call and its over

[/ QUOTE ]
"You call and it's all over baby" and takes a hit of beer.
What a sweet move. He was about to fold and then shoved
his chips in when he heard that. It was all over.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:24 PM

Speaking of the Scotty Nguyen remark, at that point I believe they were down to HU. At the final two, do the standard rules about table talk still apply? With nobody else still in the tournament, nothing either player does will affect anybody else anyway. I'm with the Fossilman about lessening the amount of restriction on table talk. I wish there was more table talk during hands and less celebration afterwards (at least in the televised events).
Old 06-09-2006, 01:03 PM

In a headsup situation (more players at the table or not) you should be allowed to say absolutely anything within reason to get your opponent to make a mistake.

As another poster said, its psychological warfare. If we played strictly with the value of hole cards, this wouldn't be a game but a simulation of luck on who catches the best cards and community.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Psychological warfare is a part of poker, in my opinion. I'd be mad if I were Brad.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wonder how much of this arguement the WPT will show/discuss when it comes to air?

[/ QUOTE ]

None, it wasn't at the final table

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn i thought it was the final 6, might have actually made for an interesting episope w/ Yukon + controversy. all well.

Kind of on topic:

If the hand is Headsup and a player goes allin why cant the player whos pondering to call the allin turn over his cards and show the allin player to try to get a reaction out of him?

I ask b/c i just watched an old WSOP final table (the one Russ Hamilton won) and a guy did just that and it seemed to be ok back then. Why /When did that rule change?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 PM

It's been covered a bit here but as I understand it the rule changed basically because in a tournament doing things like that to influence another player's decision affects everyone's equity in the tournament whereas in a cash game it only affects the two players in the hand.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe talking about your own hole cards is verboten specifically to prevent collusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is it is verboten if you specifically mention what you have.

If I say, "I can beat your kings," that is OK. If I say, "I have pocket kings," that is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is a rule this important so difficult to interpret? or is it not a rule actually? after all, booth didn't get a penalty, he just had to apologize. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2006, 03:33 PM

that is angle shooting by tony ma not by brad. sounds like he'd tell brad he's not allowed to use check/raises vs. weak players if he could get away with it
Old 06-10-2006, 07:49 PM

I posted this hand a while back because I didn't really feel right about how it went down.

new comments welcome
Old 06-11-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not supposed to say that you have a flush, or that you're bluffing, or the like. I've never heard it was against the rules to discuss your opponent's hand, even when doing so indirectly "exposes" the strength of your own hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is it OK to enumerate all of your opponent's possible holdings and tell them if each would be good or not? Doesn't seem like much of a difference.

(I am not saying I think this Yukon guy did that. In fact, I think what he said was fine since it was still kind of vague.)