Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Re: wow - I wonder why Negreanu is struggling...

Play nosebleed stakes for short period of times less than 10K hands and I bet you a decent % of a population of competent (i.e. > slight loser) mid high stakes players is up 1 million dollars. Its like 125 big bets. Search 1800Gamblers post on Standard Deviation. The best that can be said is that Negreanu is slightly more likely to be a winning player than a losing player at those stakes.

I don't know anything about tournaments so I'm not commenting.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I made one excellent call with middle pair which cost me half my stack. I picked up on a tell and went with my read.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. THis reminds me of a News Radio episode I saw.

The boss, Jimmy James lost a lot of money or something playing poker. He comes back to the office and tells Dave Foley about it.

JJ "Yeah, I just knew he was bluffing!"
DF "Oh yeah? So you called his bluff and won?"
JJ "Nope!"
DF "Oh, he wasn't bluffing??"
JJ "Oh, he was bluffing alright, he had Queen high. I still couldn't beat him though"

ROFLOMGZZZOMGLOL11!!!

Apparently this was enough to pique Foley's interest in poker.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LOL. THis reminds me of a News Radio episode I saw.

The boss, Jimmy James lost a lot of money or something playing poker. He comes back to the office and tells Dave Foley about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he lost Bill McNeal in that episode, not money. He started betting his employees.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:12 PM

He didnt tilt? After playing great and getting sucked out on he titled like crazy.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Play nosebleed stakes for short period of times less than 10K hands and I bet you a decent % of a population of competent (i.e. > slight loser) mid high stakes players is up 1 million dollars. Its like 125 big bets. Search 1800Gamblers post on Standard Deviation. The best that can be said is that Negreanu is slightly more likely to be a winning player than a losing player at those stakes.

I don't know anything about tournaments so I'm not commenting.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that same logic, it is also possible that he could be running bad and a significantly bigger winner. But who knows. The fact that nearly a dozen games are played at the 4/8k stakes is also important. That is why many will say he is one of the world's best. He has made some poor/questionable plays in GSN HSP but that game is only played 1/8th of the time at the most in the big game.

I wonder how someone like Farha or Mimi Tran ( two of the bigger winners in Season 1) would look if it was GSN High Stakes Razz or O8B. They might make some poor plays as well.

DN often makes it known for all that playing all the games is "Real Poker" and that is what it takes to be one of the best.

Theres no question he is not THE best NLH or LHE player, but overall in all the games played at those stakes, considering tournaments as well, he is clearly prover to be one of the best, and far from struggling.