Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Washington law and taxes?

For those of you who are planning to play despite the law in Washington State.... what do you plan to do when you file your taxes?

If you're declaring poker income and you have a WA state address, won't you be submitting concrete proof of your transgression whenever you file your state tax return?

I know the people who read tax forms aren't the same people who prosecute criminals in court. Still I imagine if you filed taxes claiming $100k in something like "profit from heroin trafficking" then they would look into the situation -- and now this is a felony too, right?
Old 06-10-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Washington law and taxes?

Once again... there is not state income tax in Washington and gambling/poker is not illegal in WA, jut internet gambling. So even if you do file as a professional gambler with the IRS you are not incriminating yourself

Also don't such 'visible' players and 'The Mouth' and 'KidPoker' regularly discuss online and on TV playing internet poker from their homes in LV. It's illegal in NV as well and no one is raiding their homes...
Old 06-10-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also don't such 'visible' players and 'The Mouth' and 'KidPoker' regularly discuss online and on TV playing internet poker from their homes in LV. It's illegal in NV as well and no one is raiding their homes...

[/ QUOTE ]
And there's the pic someone took of a guy playing online while in a live game at the Wynn.

But it's not a felony in NV. Or anywhere but WA.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And there's the pic someone took of a guy playing online while in a live game at the Wynn.

But it's not a felony in NV. Or anywhere but WA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, it is a felony in NV and some other states if you're a professional gambler playing online.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Law-Summary/
Old 06-10-2006, 04:23 PM

I'm 95% sure of this. You could be be a herion dealer and the IRS couldn't care less as long as you declare your income. Keep in mind you would submit it declaring a slightly different profession. The same would go for poker winnings. If you made 200K and declared it, thats all the IRS needs to know. I beleive by law that can't disclose certain information about your tax return. On the other hand declare less then you made and the IRS finds out, your in deep [censored]. Look at what happened to Richard hacth from survoir. Interest and penlaites came close to a million dollars and now he is someones girl friend in jail so to say.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think that chart has been updated to reflect WA law - "simple gambling" online is now a felony, setting it apart from all the rest.

Edit: Nope, the site hasn't been updated with the WA changes.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Washington/
Old 06-10-2006, 09:49 PM

We do not have to file state income taxes in WA (one of the only benefits). I do file federally, so if the Feds decide to share there info with the state, then that would be an issue. But states and feds don't typically share this stuff without a warrent or at least cause. If this did happen I guess I would have to destroy all my records and worry about not having all of the documents the IRS likes if I get audited. You do not report the who, what where and when on you federal taxes but you do need to have that info if audited.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think that chart has been updated to reflect WA law - "simple gambling" online is now a felony, setting it apart from all the rest.

Edit: Nope, the site hasn't been updated with the WA changes.

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/Washington/

[/ QUOTE ]

The thread is about paying taxes on gambling winnings. I would think that the law would consider anyone who wins regularly enough to pay taxes to be a professional? I could be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
If this did happen I guess I would have to destroy all my records

[/ QUOTE ]
Way to compound your potential troubles by practically falling down the slippery slope.

Wouldn't it be so much easier to move out of state rather than go through all the hassles you're suggesting of "getting away with it"?
Old 06-11-2006, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thread is about paying taxes on gambling winnings. I would think that the law would consider anyone who wins regularly enough to pay taxes to be a professional? I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Professional gamblers can file differently from non professionals, but in the US you're supposed to report it whether it's your profession or not.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Professional gamblers can file differently from non professionals, but in the US you're supposed to report it whether it's your profession or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, but if you have a day job where you make $90k or so, and you play poker on the side for another $30k or so a year, then won't they consider that "professional gambling"? Especially if you do this year after year?

I'm not saying this is the case... i'm asking if it is. So please don't take this post as me arguing a particular point.