Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Smallest Boat, Tons of Action

First time playing 20/40 so I don't know any of these people. I need help with river action.

Paradise Poker 20/40 Hold'em (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (21 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero??
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Smallest Boat, Tons of Action

I would try to get to showdown as cheap as possible on the river against unknowns. Check and call a bet and a raise. If they continue raising after that I don't like my hand at all put I'm paying off.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:25 PM

A bigger set turned boat seems likely. Quad Qs is also possible. The Button could have 77, JJ or QQ. Some guys don't raise these hands. After the flop, I put the BB on JJ or any overpair, after the turn, the BB looks like JJ or QQ though.

I would check and call down though, hoping to be up against an overplayed AA or KK and an overplayed flush draw. I would hope Button doesn't raise creating the possibility of BB 3Betting.

I might have just check/called the turn also.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:57 PM

First of all, Paradise 20/40 is filled with the biggest bunch of maniacs I have ever seen. It is a small pool of players and I have observed many of them move up rapidly in limits without ever having learned the fundamentals of good poker. In particular, they overplay their draws and do not understand position.

That said, it is tough to put a read on these guys until you know their habits. While it is certainly possible you are up against JJ or QQ from either player (I dont think 77s are a strong possibility here), more likely is AA, KK, AK of spades for the BB, and AJ/QJ for button (a raggedy two pair is possible too...I have seen a lot of guys play j7 suited or not, and 72 suited there). I have not seen many players limp with jacks or queens on the bottom when first in.

I wouldnt be surprised if the BB turned over eights, nines, or tens either.

Either way, you are in passive check/calling mode, no matter how many raises on river.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:49 PM

I think you can check/call a bet. Fold if you're faced with two.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:09 AM

Is leading the river and calling one more bet a bad option?
Old 06-10-2006, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not folding here even for four...but I know these guys too well...Definitely not leading...no point in that b/c you just dont know where you stand.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not folding here even for four...but I know these guys too well...Definitely not leading...no point in that b/c you just dont know where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd check/call 2 raises then when it comes back to you call 2 more?
Old 06-10-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd check/call 2 raises then when it comes back to you call 2 more?

[/ QUOTE ],

If I were you, yes, because as you said, you dont have reads, but you do know from 10/20 on 'dise how much people overplay their hands/slash try to bully people. So my default would be to call with a pot that big with a hand that good, even with the betting as it was.

If it were I, and I knew that one or both were solid, I am probably out of there because if you are in for two, you might be in for four.

As an aside, before I started playing 20/40 there, I did a lot of observation...something you should consider as well.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First time playing 20/40 so I don't know any of these people. I need help with river action.

Paradise Poker 20/40 Hold'em (3 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Button calls, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Turn: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (21 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero??

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no reason to three bet this turn. At this point all three of you have said that you really, really like your hands. If the BB just calls the raise you can checkraise the river, but his bet into the preflop better is ofton saying "i want to three bet". If they turn out to be maniacs put alittle note on them, but at this point Both of these players have to be overplaying their hand for you to be ahead here.