Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Playing passive-weak-tight players when it gets to shorthanded

These weak players seem to only be a problem for me in SNG's and tourneys when it gets down to 3 handed or HU. I have no problem crushing these guys in cash games, but when it is a tournament situation, for some reason I can't gain any ground. I'm talking about the players that are tight pre flop, so you can steal their blinds, but every once in a while they will call, and call down to the river with any pair. If they don't do that they'll just move all in pre flop because they are scared to play a flop. It seems like they only start calling me down when I completely miss, even when its not obvious that I missed. I bet out my made hands just like I bet out my misses so they aren't making any reads. Do I just have to wait for that fortunate situation when we both make hands at the same time? I don't know if I explained this very well but hopefully someone understands. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Playing passive-weak-tight players when it gets to shorthanded

[ QUOTE ]
If they don't do that they'll just move all in pre flop because they are scared to play a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLOLOLOLOL, you just described 99% of this forum. And the people here are hardly passive weak tight.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they'll just move all in pre flop because they are scared to play a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statements like this show you don't fully understand sngs. If it is shorthanded the blinds are usually big enough where this strategy is optimal. Unless you are playing a low limit non turbo I am guessing all in preflop at this stage is usually a good move.

You are also bluffing into people after the flop way too much. If you have top pair bet it and let them call that down, but if you have middle pair it's ok to lose some money, but not your whole stack.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:17 PM

Passive-weak-tight players are the ideal opponents in SNGs. The name of the game is stealing blinds when they get high. If they are tight this is easily accomplished.

If you are seeing flops against them, them being weak is also very favourable. They give up to most c-bets.

Here's where I confused. If you know they are passive-weak-tight, then why are you betting into them to the river with weak hands? If a weak player calls, your done with the hand if you have nothing. Simple as that.