Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: (6.50) Did I execute this blocking bet correctly?

[ QUOTE ]
You guys realise that Hero has 2 pair? And its a 6.50? What's all this talk of check-folding?

I'm bet-calling, you think people wont raise a naked ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys realise that Hero has 2 pair? And its a 6.50? What's all this talk of check-folding?

I'm bet-calling, you think people wont raise a naked ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but OP asked if he executed a blocking bet correctly. There is a flush present and you have two pair. Obviously you want to keep the street as cheap as possible if you have to fold to a raise when you think you're beat. If you're betting close to half the pot too often over time and having to fold to a raise on the river, you're going to lose alot of money. If you bet reasonably lower than the pot on the river, then villain is going to be limited on the amount he can win when he does raise because you're going to be predominately still be folding. I think villain made a good value raise on the river and wants OP to call. Despite this being a $6.50, how often do you think your line turns out be a profitable one?

Flight_Risk
Old 06-10-2006, 01:29 PM

Tough hand. If you check the river you MUST call any reasonable sized bet.....chances of you having the best hand at that point are likely around the 30-70% range (I really know how to narrow it down huh).

Once you bet the river, I think your fold to the raise is REASONABLE....although its really annoying. But ok, I think you did alright, and there are a lot of hands that will call your river bet. I'd actually have bet a touch more on the river.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tough hand. If you check the river you MUST call any reasonable sized bet.....chances of you having the best hand at that point are likely around the 30-70% range (I really know how to narrow it down huh).

Once you bet the river, I think your fold to the raise is REASONABLE....although its really annoying. But ok, I think you did alright, and there are a lot of hands that will call your river bet. I'd actually have bet a touch more on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtains, do you like the turn bet? How do you play the river?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:48 PM

Turn bet is fine (Id bet very slightly less but its not a big deal). Didnt I mention how Id play the river?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn bet is fine (Id bet very slightly less but its not a big deal). Didnt I mention how Id play the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

You told me how you would play the two different scenarios. I would like to know which line you would take (check or bet river)

edit: I guess you did say you would bet on the river, my bad. Why is checking inferior?
Old 06-10-2006, 01:58 PM

I really like the way you played this.

The turn bet is solid. You have the best hand. Pot it and see if you get action. An A will call you, and a FD will call you. Probably even a J.

Only one of these hands raises on the river, but they will likely all bet if checked to (at a $6.5). Slightly less than 1/2 pot here is good. They arent smart enough to jump on weakness, and if he was, he wouldnt make such a small raise.

I think you played this hand as well as you could.

Edit: I forgot to mention the fact that you lose a lot of value by checking the river.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You told me how you would play the two different scenarios. I would like to know which line you would take (check or bet river)

edit: I guess you did say you would bet on the river, my bad. Why is checking inferior?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont like checking so much because your opponents are so bad and they call so much with weak hands, that you have a tremendous chance for a value bet with your weak two pair.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think check/call is inferior to bet/fold for this reason: if you check and he checks a hand that would have called a bet, you've lost some good value. If you check and he has a hand that beats you, he'll almost certainly bet and you'll be on the hook for a call.

With the bet/fold, you really don't risk any more chips than the check call. If you bet and he raises, you can fold. The beauty of the bet/fold though is that if he has a hand that you beat but still wants to see your goods, you get the value that the 'check, check' scenario above denied you. The only value a bet/fold denies you (that check/call grants) is the chance to profit from a stone bluff.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chips are too valuable to be betting 150 right here. i prefer a check/fold here, or if he bets 150-200 or less you could look him up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chk/Folding river is awful