Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2006, 03:41 AM

Default Ghosts of Rwanda: Frontline

Today I watched Ghosts of Rwanda: Frontline. It deeply affected me, and I feel it is an important documentary to watch.

"A decade after the genocide in which Hutu extremists killed some 800,000 Rwandans, PBS's Frontline takes a hard look at how such an atrocity occurred. The program examines the social, political and diplomatic conditions at the time of the genocide, provides firsthand accounts of the situation through interviews with officials, relief workers, U.N. peacekeepers, diplomats and survivors, and explores whether a similar situation could occur again."

After watching it, I called all my friends to tell them about it, and I was shocked to find a few that did not even know that this genocide ever occurred. The documentary raises a lot of questions. You wonder why no one stepped in to help, particularly the United States, France, and others. I can understand how they didn't. The 800,000 killed were killed in just 100 days. Still, everyone knew about it and did nothing. It is amazing to hear the frustration of those who were there first hand and were begging for outside help. It really makes you wonder whether it could happen again. You'd think after WWII, such a thing would never be allowed to happen. And it did happen just 12 years ago!

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, be sure to check it out. It is much more real than watching a saucy Hotel Rwanda with Don Cheadle. You see the actual footage of thousands of bodies throughout the film. It is disturbing, but I feel important to realize the impact of what really did happen.

For whatever reason, the documentary is not on IMDB, I rented it through Netflix. Perhaps do a Google search for more info.