Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Default \"Three Days of Rain\" with Julia Roberts and Paul Rudd

Has anybody seen this on Broadway? I caught it last week. I haven't been to much Broadway, so I liked it a lot just because of the novelty for me. I guess this is a review, although I'm really not writing this for posterity or anything.

Some spoilers follow, but nothing I hadn't read in the reviews beforehand...

For those who haven't, the play was two acts. In the first act, three adults discuss their late father and his will. They try to understand why he made the decisions he made. The second act takes place during the Father's life. It answers some of the questions which were raised. I liked the first act better after I had seen the second. Still, I feel as if there was something missing from the play. It felt like there should have been a third act.

The acting was so-so in parts, great in other parts. I didn't think Julia Roberts was all that great. I felt like her character never really distinguished itself from a stereotype. Especially at the beginning, I felt like she was just doing run-of-the-mill Really Good Broadway Acting (tm). You know, where you interrupt the other character in tempo and all that stuff. I didn't like Paul Rudd in the first act, but he was amazing in the second act. I actually think Bradley Cooper did the best job.

The set was awesome. I guess it's well known that the gimmick to the show is it rains. Back when it opened, I think some of the audience accidently got wet. No one really got wet, and the effect was kind of cool.

One more thing, I'll put this in white since it kind of gets to the punchline of the whole thing, kind of an emotional spoiler:

<font color="white"> It came up in another thread, that it's annoying when a title of a movie is said in within movie gratuitously. But when it works, it really works. In this play, the title is used, and the effect is absolutely amazing. </font>
Old 06-09-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Re: \"Three Days of Rain\" with Julia Roberts and Paul Rudd

FWIW, I had dinner like 5 feet from Julia Roberts two weeks ago and used to regularly play poker with Paul Rudd at one of the now defunct NYC card clubs.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Re: \"Three Days of Rain\" with Julia Roberts and Paul Rudd

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I had dinner like 5 feet from Julia Roberts two weeks ago and used to regularly play poker with Paul Rudd at one of the now defunct NYC card clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should start misremembering this pair of stories, so that it's the other way around.

Paul Rudd any good? I heard Julia Roberts is shy in real life, did you get that impression?