Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 11:57 PM

Default 1/2: Stop & go & stop again

I found this hand quite interesting--I took a very weird line, and I have reasons for taking the line I did, but I'm not sure that I took the best line. 10 hands on villain--seems aggressive so far, but nothing else on him. I also have played probably 4 hours total in the last month, so maybe my logic is just all over the place [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Very drawy flop--he could be holding a pair, a draw or both. I do think that there is a possibility that I'm behind here, or that Villain has something like AJ which has many ways to beat me.

Turn: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Free card stopper. A blank on the turn improved my equity significantly, and that's why I bet out rather than capping the flop. I don't feel like I'm strong enough to c/r, so I think even if the free card wasn't a major concern, betting is still better than check/calling here.

River: (8 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Well, I checked the river for two reasons:
1. Extract a bet from a busted draw.
2. Not have to call a raise if he was waiting till the river to raise a monster.

Checking certainly is disadvantageous if Villain holds a weak pair that would call but not bet, however, I haven't represented a very strong hand, and I think a decent Ace would bet again. If I bet, I would not be happy calling a raise here.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 06-07-2006, 12:12 AM

Default Re: 1/2: Stop & go & stop again

You had the right idea to checkraise the river after he just called the turn.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:17 AM

You should get 3 BB in on the turn and river. Get it done.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should get 3 BB in on the turn and river. Get it done.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you suggest I do it without having to pay 4 if I'm behind? I hadn't thought about check-raising the river, but against a decent Ace, that's probably the best option (both the benefits of check/calling and betting).