Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Speed $33 AK Suited: Was I weak tight?

PartyPoker Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t4170)
UTG+1 (t1855)
Hero (t2040)
MP2 (t2518)
MP3 (t1758)
CO (t2039)
Button (t1970)
SB (t1840)
BB (t1810)

Preflop: Hero is in MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to t120</font>, Hero calls t120, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t120, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t360) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets t477</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>

My only read on the raiser is the is the first raise or call he has made, and I have no history before this tournament.

Preflop: I could possibly reraise to 350-400 I chose to call. I really didnt want to race this early if he re-pops it. Looking back, maybe I make it 350 and try to isolate the guy with position.

Postflop: I feel smooth call, push, or fold are all reasonable options. With 1 player left to act behind me, I chose to fold.

I put him on an overpair when he potted the turn. I felt I had little or no fold equity beacuse he would be getting better than 3 to 1(3920/1258) on his call.

Feedback on preflop call please.

Also, once I call the flop, what line do you like for hero post flop.

Peace,

KennyBanya
Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Speed $33 AK Suited: Was I weak tight?

I'm pushing this flop. You know that your hand is even money with an overpair, right? Even if you have no fold equity it is +EV to get all your chips in. And even then, you probably have some sort of fold equity (there's still some in this spot, although it may not look like it).
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 PM

I push the flop. Smooth calling isn't great. If you miss, your equity drops dramatically.

I like your preflop play.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 PM

Re-raise pf. He will check to you on flop.

As it is, check out Pokerstove. Eval odds, make decision.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM

you can make cases for raising or smooth calling preflop. Post, I'd push this. You've got a minimum of nine outs (assuming your opponent hasn't set, which is highly unlikely in this spot.) and it's possible there are 3 Aces and Kings that could help. Though it's an overbet of the pot, you're getting roughly 1.75:1 on a coinflip (or better) shot, plus your fold equity. I might consider a smooth call here only if I think the guy behind might call and I can get some extra if I hit.

I like pushing the flop here, in short.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:43 PM

What is the buy in here?

At the lower buyins I definitely push the flop here...wish I could comment on what to do if it was a higher buy in but I obvously dont have any experience in that area!

CM
Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 PM

I'm tempted to push this flop. Yeah, you're only even money here against anything but AA or KK, and that's far from the ideal situation to push while it's still relatively early.

But ... you might still have the best hand against someone who's overly aggro with a big ace. You also have the CO to deal with, and if you could get him to fold a better hand than yours currently with a push, that's outstanding.

Pushing here definitely isn't wrong. It's either that or fold. I've seen moves that were weaker and tighter than this, that's for sure.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:55 PM

I don't mind the preflop call, i've been playing AK like this at times lately. The flop should be super instapush to the rescue. nut flush draw + two overs against likely 99-AA
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 PM

That's my favorite flop for AKs! Push it.