Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Day23

Keep up the good work!

I hope you are successful with your challenge, and donating some of your winnings to the hurricane charity is a nice touch. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Bottomset- I've read all the updates and am rooting for you but I haven't commented because I didn't want to put a damper on your thread. But since you asked for replies (I say this with the best of intentions) sometimes I feel like this whole thing was a bad idea. This was no ADHOC marathon that would be over in 24 hours or 3 days this was a major change to your poker playing volume over the course of 2 months with expectations of fantastic success or utter failure in the public eye. Whenever I read about your frustration alarms go off in my head.

Before you started this you were a very good player who was learning and improving everyday. Hiring coaches, studying these baords, jumping limits. It was all going well. Setting goals and attempting to meet or surpass them is always a good idea and surely was the onus behind this challenge. However artificially ramping up the growth timetable seems like a recipe for failure whether you actually succeed in meeting your stated objectives or not. I'm not sure that successful completion of this goal will be a good thing for you in the long run. Why? Because I'm afraid this isn't just being done for you anymore.

By doing this challenge so publicly you seem to have put yourself in a position of having to play through some painful times to keep the respect of your 2+2 peers. Do you really need this pressure?

I know you're learning a ton from adversity but don't let this thing make you hate poker. I know you've changed some of the goals from the ones in the thread title but don't feel like you need to live up to any goals. You're motivated to play and to keep playing without putting undue expectations on yourself in a public forum. I'd hate to see that motivation be squashed at the end of this journey. You'll get where you want to be eventually as long as your love of poker is strong.

As long as you still doing this thing good luck but make sure you're doing it for the right reasons namely you not for the rest of us. I for one respect you as a player enough regardless of where this thing leads you. I just hope it leads to a place where you not only become a better player but to where you have a better understanding of what makes poker fun for you and how you can best find the balance between enjoyment and profit potential.

-Jamie

BTW- Awesome giving up your profits to charity. I wish I could afford to do the same.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As long as you still doing this thing good luck but make sure you're doing it for the right reasons namely you not for the rest of us. I for one respect you as a player enough regardless of where this thing leads you. I just hope it leads to a place where you not only become a better player but to where you have a better understanding of what makes poker fun for you and how you can best find the balance between enjoyment and profit potential.
-Jamie

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. I agree that I hope you dont feel under pressure to make your challenge to retain the respect of other 2+2 posters. You will always have it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2005, 08:40 PM

first off thanks for thoughtout response Droolie

I agree with a lot of what you posted, looking back, making Money won a goal made it more stressful, frustrating and made me dislike poker, when things turned for the worse, especially the second stretch, I had just got back on track, then dropped another 100BB

anyway, I'd go back and change both goal posts, the original, and the updated one as well, and totally eliminate monetary aspects of this, and make the goal to play the best I can, and improve as a poster. its only been 24days since this thread happened, I think I've learned more in those 24 days, than I did in the last yr, and a ton about how tough this game really is on a day to day basis.

as for the needing to maintain the respect of my fellow 2+2ers, it really wasn't on my mind, I decided to post the thread because I felt it would be interesting, and possibly might help some of you guys out.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as for the needing to maintain the respect of my fellow 2+2ers, it really wasn't on my mind, I decided to post the thread because I felt it would be interesting, and possibly might help some of you guys out.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who's been a reader for a while but only recently (about two months) started interacting with you guys. I completely agree with Droolie and others sentiments that you will allways have respect from us. And regardless of this challenge you help a lot of us out on a daily basis.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 PM

That's great man. I had a feeling you were heading in that direction. You will have months and even weeks in the near future when you meet your 60 day monetary goal stated in this thread and not even realize it.

Keep learning but also keep teaching us micro pissants cause guys like me need all the help we can get.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Day24

only played 216hands of 1/2 6max on Party today, long day at work, not in the poker playing mood. Got smart and only played 3tables, so my reads were better, played pretty good outside of the hand where I checked behind on the river with a straight

1weaktight limper who folds way too much, SBcompletes, I check the BB with Q5clubs,
I flop bottompair, BDstraight and FDs, SB checks .. I bet weaktight folds, SB calls .. turn gives me a straight draw, SBchecks, I check
river gives me a straight(4overcards to my pair of 5's) SB checks, I insta check ooops(villian had 4thpair and totally woulda payed off the bet) .. flop bet might not be good, but WT folds a lot, and SB plays everything, and calls a ton with junk

I did a ton of limping OTB today, really good LP tables, so I was pretty liberal, I did pass limping 95s OTB after 3limpers, 2loose blinds, maybe could have eeked out a little +EV there, not sure.(of course I did flop a flush if I woulda played [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

+62.53 not bad at all, I love 1/2 6max, it feels like play money and the players play like its play money.

I also changed my PartyPoker handle, I don't think too many people knew the old one, I'm gonna play 2+2games with this name for a while
Old 09-05-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Day25, 26

well I played a fair bit on Day25, though it was mostly 1/2 and at the 2+2table

I didn't play the greatest at the 1/2 games, my reads weren't as good as usual, couple bad payoffs, turn calls. Prob about C+ poker, part of me just wanted to get the party bonus done, so I might have pressed a little too much

1/2 284hands +11.64 still not too bad
I only managed 81hands of 3/6 since I only had 500 in party, and having 250 on the table is a little much. pretty much breakeven don't really remember much from the tables ... so pretty bland as well, +9.5

I did log a bunch of hands at my 2+2table, I'm pretty sure by now, people that post here frequent know I really enjoy these tables, I've prob logged more hands than anyone here at the games, until recently with fairly bad results, but now I feel I'm +EV in the games, with most lineups. This session featured me hitting 4 or 5 sets in a row, using a variety of postflop lines with them. I played pretty good at the table, couple spots I didn't feel comfortable, especially against DeathDonkey, but I think I end up learning a fair bit playing at these tables. +18.75 there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
it filled up, which is kinda hard to adjust to, when your last 40k hands have been SH.

Today, I got a bunch of cleaning done around the house, watched the twins game, and relaxed very little playing. I did manage to clear off the Party bonus, cash out, and start up on the Empire reload, this time playing 2tables of 3/6, and 1 table of 1/2 to speed up the clearing. It was one of those days where when you aren't sure what to do, you make a close decision and let the river bail you out. I was hitting gutshots with great timing. Again if I rate my play it was in the C+, B- range, I think I made a couple bets for the sake of betting without a good reason behind them, not really tilt, just not truely my best thought processing, but today the cards said, Josh we got your back today. I like when its that way, I like it more when I'm playing Agame and its that way.

I ran AK into AA when a donkey LRRed, I flopped a Kxx, blanks, I 3bet the flop, not sure if i really should have done that, I had the guy pegged in a loose/callingstation type, but it was a fairly premature read without too much backup ... right after I bet the river, I was like donk has AA .. I was right, oops.

197hands, +81.75, prob about 100-110 if I played my best

1/2 was bland with a good table, but nothing really interesting going on, just plain ol valuebetting the bad players into a new hobby like usual.

179hands -26.75, I did play about 80hands this afternoon to finish the bonus, it was -30 or so, about 100hands tonight at pretty close to breakeven.

poker is back being fun, still working on getting to play more hands at the elusive Agame, and being more introspective on my play, on more than just a results level. I don't play that great on too many of my good days, hope thats something that I will change.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Days27, 28

well been working on the Empire reload, not really logging the hands I should be, day27 I was 2tabling 3/6 and 1tabling 1/2 in the background, playing alright, just need to stop making stupid bets .. playing a little fast sometimes catch myself after its too late. running so/so end up down about 20BB over 300ish hands, did well at the 1/2 tables though, I like playing against these donks way more than I should. +20BB in 150ish hands, I originally planned on logging more hands, but had to go into work for 4hrs, and that ended up killing most of my poker playing energy.

Today was good, I was playing 4tables 1/2 6, since I need to get going on the Empire reload, my reads were weaker than usual, mainly keeping an eye on the very active ones, which were in abundance, god the players here are horrid, I was running good, playing good, couple bad spots where I misplayed my hand, lot of valuebetting, and valueraising. overall a very good day +62BB over 404hands, maybe I should just stay down here? nah but its sure a fun distraction, and easy bonus clearer though

3hands

1.villian is very loose, openlimps everything in the SB, and donkbets 75% of flops, callsdown way too much
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: bottomset is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">bottomset raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">bottomset raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">bottomset bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">bottomset bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

2.villian here is 60/13 or so, but has a superfetish for bluffing, and making ppl fold the best hand, he's bluff c/rd the river a few times with Thi or weaker, basically he took Mike Sexton's "only way to win the pot is to bet"(horribly paraphased) to the next level.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: bottomset is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">bottomset raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, bottomset calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, bottomset calls.

I take a passive line, since he can 3bet with anything(or call, donk .. or call c/r) I like my hand, but not enough to want to put in 3bets .. might be wrong on this?

River: (5.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">bottomset bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, bottomset calls.

questionable bet here, easy call since he bluffraises too much

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

3. same villian as #2

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: bottomset is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">bottomset raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, bottomset calls, BB calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, bottomset checks.

no point in walking into a c/r

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">bottomset bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, bottomset calls.

yucky bet?

River: (8.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">bottomset raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, bottomset calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
Old 09-08-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Day29 aka bottomset gets cracked

well good new is I did finish the empire reload in time, the bad news is I went into massive tilt for 100ish hands and pissed away about 40BB at 1/2(otherwise known as my bonus) one of my strength's as a player has been tilt-control, I've been good at moving on past a rough hand, or quiting when the play looks like its gonna falloff. well today the tilt-regulator was out of service, and I hit a bad stretch making some payoff hands .. I had 720raked hands cleared coming into the day, and the first 250 or so went ok, no real progress up or down, pretty normal session. I don't remember what triggered it, but my play dropped from B+ - A level to D or F level in a heartbeat, and I didn't have the control to stop. well I sort of contained it by dropping down on # of tables, but its not good enough.

I still ended up positive for the bonus, but did ruin my nice run at 1/2 from yesterday

I'm gonna switch over and play on stars for a while, prob 2/4 6max, 3/6 when I can find a good game there .. hopefully I get both bonuses cleared off in a few days.

in unrelated news, I hate my job, and have a cold(seriously who gets sick in Sept) but do get to watch 9hrs of Football on Sunday, still trying to find good tickets to the Vikings/Steelers game, might have to settle for the Rams game. I kinda procrastinated on that one