Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2006, 02:18 AM

Default Re: OT: so my stepdad found out I play poker....

My Dad flipped out when he found out I was serious about poker,too. He got this idea in his head that I was going to lose all my money, and he ignorantly wouldn't consider any other viewpoints. That's changed now,though. He now asks me everyday if I've won money today. I explained variance to him, and he stopped asking.
MOVE OUT, not because of your age, but because your father is controlling. Or stay, and let him walk all over you. Maybe that's what your comfortable with.
I'm now going to go throw up. The idea of your controlling dad makes me feel ill. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Shooby
Old 01-13-2006, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Update

Your dad need a girlfriend.
Shooby
Old 01-13-2006, 02:23 AM

His dad isn't the one with the problem, his stepdad is. His mum might not like the stepdad getting a girlfriend. The stepdad may have a small penis.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't ruin a family relationship over some $22 tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
The relationships are already suffering -- one individual is attempting to control them all. The poster is something like 20, it's time for him to think like an adult and take control of his life. Poker is irrelevant to the problem, if it wasn't poker, it would be something else. At some point, he's just got to say: it's my life, thanks for all you've done, I'm very grateful; I'm 20 now and am going to start making my own decision, I'm going in this direction and I hope it's something you can support me in; if you can't support me I will be very sad, but I think it is best for my life that I start taking control and responsibility now.

This isn't about poker. If he decides to give up poker, he should still assert himself and take control of his life.

Oh, and don't forget to pay taxes. While online poker may or may not be illegal, tax evasion certainly is illegal.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:54 AM

basically just make him feel like a prick buy not playing his game. Just continue plans to move out, and every new threat he comes up with respond with "I love you, and I know you love me, so you do whatever you feel you have to do".
Old 01-13-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also when you leave, write the police's phone number on a piece of paper and tell him to report you to the feds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. You gotta get out of there. He's going to be a cancer to you as long as you remain in his house. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread is interesting to me....

My GF has been on me lately about how much time I waste away (like right now) with poker stuff...

[/ QUOTE ]

I WAS that type of girlfriend. I used to bitch at my boyfriend for hours when he came home from work and played poker for hours, ignoring me. Now I'm at the $22's, playing 3-8 hours a day, playing 2 tables, lurking at this site alot (never posted until now), and reading the second of HOH books. My advice to that is have her start an account and send her a $100 (thats what he did). I started at the $6 sng (my ring sucks) and $1-6 multis and moved up as I got better. Now I never say shxt when he plays because I play alot too. Also then you will have someone else discuss poker about, and watch you (thus getting to spend more time with her).
Old 01-14-2006, 10:21 PM

Looks like time to move out. You don't mention your mom, just the fancy living environment, so I don't see any draw holding you there. Hope the big screen TV and swimming pool are enough compensation for your mom.

Just make your arrangments. Then tell your mom the half truth. Tell her you'll chill at your friend's place until step dad cools off. Then somehow you never return.

And rent The Snake Pit.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We argued about this more tonight, when it became clear to him that I was leaving he made this desperate claim that he was going to take my SS# and my bank acct. # and report me to the "feds".

His point of view has changed from :"I don't want you doing this in my house" to "I don't want you doing this away from my house either, and I'll do whatever I can to prevent it"

I don't really know if he's serious or not but if he is; should I be worried?

[/ QUOTE ]

geez castanza, this guy is a total prick. His threats seem a bit loose and LAGgy so I say you push.

p.s. when you move out, please tell him "holla".
Old 01-15-2006, 07:27 AM

your stepdad is successful but you are the only one with a workable computer in your house? thats lame. if hes using the "you owe me for raising you" [censored] then hes an [censored] because he should be doing that out of his love for you, not because he wants you to feel like you owe him. i would really try to explain at least once or twice and have a nice sit down talk over some coffee and if he still doesnt understand then move out with your friend. if you leave your stepdad's for your father's then you are just going to get into an argument about some other [censored] in a few weeks or months or whatever.