Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 02:14 AM

Default Heads up vs aggro in ring games

I've been reworking my game lately and have been noticing how hard it is to defend a blind vs a tighter - aggro player.

Say you're in a full ring game and the TAG open riases in late middle position, you're in the BB with a reasonable but most likely dominated hand ( ie. QJ, K9s, A4s etc) All reasonable hands to play as per the respected texts.

You can reasonably limit the raisers' hands to middle pairs and up, and A9s and up, and say KQ, and KJs. However, and this is my key point, you KNOW this palyer will bet any flop if checked to, and raise any flop that isn't totaly terrifying to him. Also, he is likely to raise most flops with just overcards heads up.

So basically, you won't know anything about the strenght of his hand until the turn, most (~90%) of the time.

Is defending here worthwhile/profitable/+EV? How often do you need to win to show a profit and is it possible to win that many hands when you're likely to be dominated, out of position, and never going to get a free card?

Also, is check-raise bluffing the flop worth the risk if he calls down any pair?

It seems to me that in order to win, you need to either hit the flop and have him not ( not worth chasing heads-up) or make a power play, keep betting, and hope he doesn't hit (doesn't seem like and overlay)

PS. I am not talking about situations where a player is tryiing to run over you repeately, just a situation which occurs a couple of times / session.

thanks all

mark