Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Semi-bluff the turn? Not a standard line for me.

After two orbits, villains seem LP.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($419.40)
BB ($115.70)
UTG ($81.85)
Hero ($202)
CO ($74.40)
Button ($147.90)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($13) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, BB calls $12, UTG calls $10.

Turn: ($49) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $65</font>?,...

I thought I could fold these guys out, and even if I couldn't, I have OES and flush draw. Is this poorly played? Should I raise bigger if I take this line?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Semi-bluff the turn? Not a standard line for me.

I don't know if you're going to push UTG out as the pots $59 with his bet and he has ~$55 behind him. He may just call with a weak king.

With position, i'd prefer to just call and hope the draw hits. If it doesn't, you save some $. the pot will be too big for UTG to get away from on the river.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:36 PM

If you're going to raise on the flop I would make it at least pot sized. The turn raise is fine as long as you're willing to make another bet on a blank river, because LPs make this kind of bet all the time with a draw and there is a good chance that they could call your turn bet and then fold to another on the river when they miss. However, withe UTG's short stack I don't even know if that would work well at all. Overall though the safer and often better line against a LP is to just call on the turn.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:10 AM

Thumbs down on the coldcall preflop homey, 4 players behind, original raiser is only 40BB deep. If you've got 2 more loose-passive players behind you, maybe.

I'd push the turn, he doesn't look thrilled about his hand, probably a mid pair, so even though he's getting 2-1 on the call, even this guy folds some of the time here. Worst case scenario is you lose 45 bucks extra and get some loose action later on in the session.

Edit: OK, just realized BB cold-called your raise on the flop, just call the turn.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:24 AM

Looks good, one very useful feature of this move is that you have a good chance of cleaning up your club outs if one of the other players is drawing to a higher flush.

UTG is very often trying to price in a draw here.

and river action if called is easy: push if you make a draw, check/fold if you don't.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:55 AM

i think you're getting called by the shortie pretty much every time here. probably has a weak king.

if there's merit to this turn move it's that you can fold out a higher club draw (as DJ mentioned).