Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Bonnaroo

A music festival that is both enormous and listed as one of the top 50 most influential moments in Rock history by Rolling Stone [I know that means very little to some] and yet I have only heard of it today.

Bonnoroo 2006

It started out as more of a hippie jamfest 5 years ago, but now it has expanded a bit more into indie and hiphop. Considering all of the people who are into indie music on this board I was surprised that I had never heard of it. Is anyone going this year or has gone in the past? Has anyone ever even gone to a similar large multiband experience like woodstock so I know what I may get myself into? It seems really interesting.

Incase you don't want to click the link, here are some bands playing that you may know:

Radiohead - headlining Sat. night
My Morning Jacket
Death Cab
Beck
Matisyahu
Ben Folds
Blues Traveler
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Cypress Hill
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Phil Leash [bassist from the Greatful Dead] and Trey Anastasio [of Phish fame playing in a band called Oysterhead] will head the jamband majority present throughout the four day event beginning on June 15 and ending June 18th.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Bonnaroo

I'm not going, but Saturday 5-7:30P at the same time:

MMW
Claypool
Blues Traveler
Beck
Cypress Hill
Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 PM

Went last year. Highly awesome. Do it right, do it BIG. Get that VIP ticket so you camp up close to the stages. Pack plenty of cool drinks. Get a proper tent, proper sleeping equipment, and some way to keep cool when the heat wakes you up at 10AM. Like drugs? Want to try exotic stuff you've never heard of? You're in the right cow patch.

Get plenty of rest the days beforehand - to do this right, it will take a LOT of energy. ENJOY!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:51 AM

I'll be there.

EDIT: It will be my third year.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

MMW
Claypool
Blues Traveler
Beck
Cypress Hill

[/ QUOTE ]

I went the first year, had a grand time. [censored] like this is why I won't go again, though.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:02 AM

oh I've wanted to see Matisyahu live forever, Tom Petty would be pretty good too.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MMW
Claypool
Blues Traveler
Beck
Cypress Hill

[/ QUOTE ]

I went the first year, had a grand time. [censored] like this is why I won't go again, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you one of those "This is too mainstream to go to again"? Because there are still plenty of jam bands and I don't think they have added that many 'mainsteam' bands as compared to last year. But, whatever floats your boat man.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:53 AM

I have been 4 times and it's a good experience to try out once. It's really too many dirty hippies packed into one place. Everyone stinks, no good looking girls,etc. The first year I had to sit in about 15 hours of traffic before we got in. I almost went crazy. The music is pretty cool because there are so many bands, and you can do alot of drugs to enjoy it.

If anyone wants any tips or advice if your going just ask me. Haha I know sorta alot about it from going so often. Here is a few off the top of my head.

1. Tickets are like 200 dollars or something crazy. DONT BUY THEM. You can get fake wristbands for 10-20 dollars ther e that will work just fine. All the workers are just hippy's doing it for free and dont really check you or care about anything. My fakes have been so bad. Really just a blue piece of plastic with bonarroo written on it in permanent marker. No one really looks. You can just flash it and walk right in.

2. PARKING- It's pretty miserable. I really would try to get a hotel close and just walk in . There are even shuttles that will drive you in if you flash them your fake wristband. If you cant find a hotel there are some places where you can park about 2 miles away to leave your car. It's well worth the walk to not have your car there. You can beat the traffic of everyone leaving.

3. DONT TAKE DRUGS WITH YOU IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SELL THEM. The first year I went they were just pulling over everyone and stopping them for no reason. We got our entire car searched for everything. We only had alot of beer that got taken but we didnt have any drugs besides that. Last year we took alot of drugs to sell and we didnt get pulled over so you can if you want to risk it. Drugs are easy to get so dont worry about that.

THERE ARE NO LAWS- You can just walk around holding drugs or smoking weed and no one cares. We sold mushrooms and just walked around holding them out yelling mushrooms and selling them right on the "streets" that in itself is a cool thing to witness. You really could murder 50 ppl there and never get caught.

WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES- You will be walking a ton

That's about all I can think of right now. If you all have any questions just ask me.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:55 AM

I may be crazy here but I think the music is the least fun part of the whole experience. IMO the best things are just walking around checking out all the venders. Eating the good food everyone is selling, looking at all the crazy ppl, enjoying no laws, and just hanging out with your friends getting messed up.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

MMW
Claypool
Blues Traveler
Beck
Cypress Hill

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you one of those "This is too mainstream to go to again"? Because there are still plenty of jam bands and I don't think they have added that many 'mainsteam' bands as compared to last year. But, whatever floats your boat man.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually I was pointing out the fact that those bands are all playing at the same time. You can't see all 5 of those bands. I would love to see Beck, MMW, Blues Trveler and Les Claypool. However, you have to choose one. That's why I won't go. That and Tennessee in summer is hotter than hell.