Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 04:31 AM

Default Re: If you were alive 500 years ago...

[ QUOTE ]
If I was born 500 years ago, I would have died before my 1st birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad story.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:42 PM

Sad story.

It is humbling every 7 months or so when I think about it.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:02 PM

<font color="blue">its nothing whatsover to do with reason as science in no way makes god less (or more) likely.
</font>

Please correct me if I'm taking it out of context, but this has to be wrong.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">its nothing whatsover to do with reason as science in no way makes god less (or more) likely.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
It has to be right. There's no scientific result that could ever make any difference to whether or not god exists.

Further, there are no arguments for not believing in god that don't predate science. (edit; that's a bold claim because there could be, but I've never heard of any and have faith in the greeks and the enlightnement)

It can be argued that if god exists then science provides a handle on the way god works.

chez
Old 06-04-2006, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no scientific result that could ever make any difference to whether or not god exists.

[/ QUOTE ]
That seems true enough. Perhaps science puts some constraints on the attributes a god may have??

[ QUOTE ]
It can be argued that if god exists then science provides a handle on the way god works.

[/ QUOTE ]
It science sticks to natural explanations of the ways of the universe, it seems difficult to come up with a crossing point. Wouldn't it be excluded by definition?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
It has to be right. There's no scientific result that could ever make any difference to whether or not god exists.

Further, there are no arguments for not believing in god that don't predate science. (edit; that's a bold claim because there could be, but I've never heard of any and have faith in the greeks and the enlightnement)

chez

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you make the same claim if the generic "god" were replaced with "Judeo-Christian God?"
Old 06-04-2006, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That seems true enough. Perhaps science puts some constraints on the attributes a god may have??

[/ QUOTE ]

In theory I think this is true, but in reality scientific explanation seems to have barely mitigated the tendency of religious people to attribute events to divine intervention, whether or not it makes any sense to do so.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's no scientific result that could ever make any difference to whether or not god exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It science sticks to natural explanations of the ways of the universe, it seems difficult to come up with a crossing point. Wouldn't it be excluded by definition?

[/ QUOTE ]
I just mean things like:

If god exists and choose to create man then science tells us that the method he chose to use is evolution.

Agreed there must be a no crossing point like how having chosen evolution god causes an evolutinary world to exist. At some point we get stuck with the wave of a mighty hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

chez
Old 06-05-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed there must be a no crossing point like how having chosen evolution god causes an evolutinary world to exist. At some point we get stuck with the wave of a mighty hand

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not limited to god(s). Some people, even atheists, seem in much more need of holding a special place in the universe and balk at the idea of there not being a 'mighty hand' being waved at some stage of empirical investigations. Preserving Mystery or some such.

Our pyschology guides a good chunk of our philosophy. ??
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM

If I had been born 500 years ago, my myopia would have made survival to adulthood very unlikely. I would have been a peasant who lived a short life full of fear and ignorance. And of course I would have been religious.