Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Backing my stack with 1pair

[ QUOTE ]
Best way to keep the pot small is to bet 15 on the turn and like 25 on the river, folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be tough to fold hero's last ~$40 into a $160 pot on the river. I don't see how hero keeps it small (other than check folding the turn) if villain wants to play for a big pot.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:35 PM

What about a line where we bet 15 on turn, and check/call river? Is this a spot where a worse hand would bet but only better hands will call?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Best way to keep the pot small is to bet 15 on the turn and like 25 on the river, folding to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be tough to fold hero's last ~$40 into a $160 pot on the river. I don't see how hero keeps it small (other than check folding the turn) if villain wants to play for a big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be tough to fold but you know that you would almost never be ahead.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
greg,

whats the point keeping hte pot small if we're def beat? Either we're ahead of his range and want money going in the pot, or we should fold if we're behind his range

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying we are definatly beat or definately ahead. I think that we are marginally ahead. However if someone offered you a .50000000001 to .49999999999 bet would you take your whole bankroll and bet? I am saying that I think we are more than likely ahead but our range is only slightly better than villians. However to reduce variance I think it is wise to put as little in the pot as is possible.

Greg
Old 06-05-2006, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
greg,

whats the point keeping hte pot small if we're def beat? Either we're ahead of his range and want money going in the pot, or we should fold if we're behind his range

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying we are definatly beat or definately ahead. I think that we are marginally ahead. However if someone offered you a .50000000001 to .49999999999 bet would you take your whole bankroll and bet? I am saying that I think we are more than likely ahead but our range is only slightly better than villians. However to reduce variance I think it is wise to put as little in the pot as is possible.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Straw man.

We're talking about strategies for one buy-in here, and you're dragging in a bankroll-management issue. Please.

Play within your bankroll. Then [censored] variance and just grab the EV.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best way to keep the pot small is to bet 15 on the turn and like 25 on the river, folding to a raise. If we check we are virtually committed to calling a PSB vs an unknown, and that makes folding the river awkward.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be might line although I might even bet less on the turn maybe even 1/3d of the pot. The board is so dry that we're either way ahead or way behind. If we're way ahead villian could easily fold to a bigger bet and if we're way behind we're not putting that much money in the pot. I might just check call or check fold the river depending on the villain.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be tough to fold but you know that you would almost never be ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah pretty much never
Old 06-05-2006, 05:35 PM

Before your turn bet I make Villain's range:

22-AA, 10Q-AQ, 45, AK, A3, A2

The turn bet then serves two purposes:
(i) Building the pot-good because you are well ahead of his current range
(ii) Further narrowing Villain's range

Which I believe make the bet a good idea!

After Villain calls your bet on the turn I make his range:

22, 33, QQ-AA, JQ-AQ, (+a small chance of 99-JJ)

Given the strength you have shown thoughout the hand, and given that Villain seems to be passive, I think we can c/f river (or c/c a v small bet) knowing we are well behind the range of hands he will bet on the river.

BTW I don't like that you bet a greater proportion of the pot on the river than you do on the flop/turn. This must be a mistake/
Old 06-05-2006, 05:35 PM

42it,

good stuff man. it took about 40 posts or so, but at last we're at the base of the whole hand. Like you say, pot control is pretty much impossible here. We could maybe bet less on turn, but thats bout it. If he has AQ/set, we're losing a lot of $$, its that simple. The point is, how do we make the most vs hands we beat. Now most ppl are saying to check the turn, a) for pot control and b) to make the most out of hands we beat.

Now, checking this turn doesn't affect pot control at all, b/c we just let villain decide how big the pot gets. Also, IMO it doesn't make the most out of hands we beat, b/c 99/QJ is checking behind this turn like 80% of the time, but they're calling a bet most the time. So surely, its best to bet the turn. no?

In fact, I think "pot control" is misunderstood a lot on this baord, and in a day or so, I'm going to start a thread about the myth of pot control
Old 06-05-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
42it,

good stuff man. it took about 40 posts or so, but at last we're at the base of the whole hand. Like you say, pot control is pretty much impossible here. We could maybe bet less on turn, but thats bout it. If he has AQ/set, we're losing a lot of $$, its that simple. The point is, how do we make the most vs hands we beat. Now most ppl are saying to check the turn, a) for pot control and b) to make the most out of hands we beat.

Now, checking this turn doesn't affect pot control at all, b/c we just let villain decide how big the pot gets. Also, IMO it doesn't make the most out of hands we beat, b/c 99/QJ is checking behind this turn like 80% of the time, but they're calling a bet most the time. So surely, its best to bet the turn. no?

In fact, I think "pot control" is misunderstood a lot on this baord, and in a day or so, I'm going to start a thread about the myth of pot control

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%.

Playing OOP with TP-type hands sucks, but you can't let Villains pwn you here.