Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 02:09 PM

Default Re: How often are you in the money?

Hi All,

First, I am so happy that I posted this question. I am going back to rethink how I play. You have definitely made some valid points about going deep vs. getting entry fee + small profit.

In the past, I would get super tight near the bubble to ensure I made it into the money. I figured even if I lost 20% of my chips blinding away, I would still make it in the money and just play the remainder for free. Literally, I would only call an all in with the absolute nuts.

It was not until I read several posts explaining the EV that I realized the error in my logic.

Cheers,

Leo
Old 06-05-2006, 02:20 PM

Keep improving and I'm sure w/in the next few months you'll be posting a 'thank you' thread to 2+2 for their help in your win.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sweet im an enthusiast now. i think i kinda liked being a member better tho since now i feel like im forced to be excited about losing now that im an enthusiast but before when i was a member people didnt really know how i felt so i could be unhappy about losing if i wanted. did anyone else feel this way when forced to be enthusiasitic? is this normal? how should i deal with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

poopstar - congrats man on the "Enthusiast" title....meh, actually I didn't even care when I got this title either as I'm shooting for "Pooh-Bah" and, eventually, "Carpal-Tunnel" but that could take awhile.....so I didn't feel the need or even try to be more "enthusiastic" to answer your question. I'm still sucking and losing in any event which is depressing, but sucking less and less I think - just gotta keep on truckin' I guess.....

OP - I hear you on those 4-6-hour donk-a-thon $1 and $3 tourneys - lately I've started playing more of the $6, $11 and $22 but my bankroll allows for it so not sure I'd recommend that to you (FWIW I'm doing ok, actually better than in the lower tourneys, but small sample size due to variance). I would say that it might be fine to try to slowly move up to the $6s though and test the waters a bit just for experience (say 2-3 tournies), and if you think it's noticeably different and you're getting hammered then move back down. My guess is that you won't see as much in the level of craziness, although there will surely be plenty. Also, I'd say try to play in 100-400 man events max if you're worried about time as obviously they don't last as long. If you go to the FT in some of those 1500+ events is can take like 8+ hours...
Old 06-05-2006, 03:14 PM

Engineer MBA,
I am playing those same $1-$3 (and freerolls) at party just like you. I have been playing them for around 14 months now and I am finally starting to get how to play them. I keep my own spreadsheet data for all games (not as detailed as downloaded ones obviously) and all MMT's.
For the first 13 months I averaged a measly profit (like you) of .37 cents per hour. Now guys, stop rolling on the floor laughing!! My best finishes being second twice in freerolls, but only 16th in the buy-ins.
However, after reading many books and putting that info into practice, this past Memorial Day weekend I had some breakouts. I made two final tables in 5 tourneys. The first one I finished 6th on Friday ($76), and then I won Monday night netting $506. That has now boosted my average to just over $4.00 per hour on these tourneys.

What I am getting at is that they are a cheap way to practice without risking much money. They ARE valuable to someone starting out. They can allow you to find YOUR style of play. Everyone needs to develope the experience to put all of the many small pieces of our game together with the ability to then change gears to throw our opponents off and that TAKES TIME.
You will need to learn how to play when struggling from behind as I did when finishing sixth by stealing blinds and making small plays, but you will need to also learn how to play on the lead. I did that for the first time when I won on Memorial Day. I took the chip lead at $40,000 and rarely gave it up until the final deal between me and the second place guy (me 2.45 mil in chips and he 1.35 mil).
Just last night I was 31st and felt I could have done better. Now, I EXPECT to get to the final table!! IN time you will too!
Take what you can from all sources, but once again, develop YOUR style, but you have to adapt to what the game gives you.
Good luck and be patient. Stupoman44
Old 06-05-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sweet im an enthusiast now. i think i kinda liked being a member better tho since now i feel like im forced to be excited about losing now that im an enthusiast but before when i was a member people didnt really know how i felt so i could be unhappy about losing if i wanted. did anyone else feel this way when forced to be enthusiasitic? is this normal? how should i deal with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It hurts at first, but once you relax, it starts to feel really good.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thx Nath - having recently moved up myself to "Addict" I can tell you that it's starting to feel real good....
Old 06-05-2006, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Engineer MBA,
I am playing those same $1-$3 (and freerolls) at party just like you. I have been playing them for around 14 months now and I am finally starting to get how to play them. I keep my own spreadsheet data for all games (not as detailed as downloaded ones obviously) and all MMT's.
For the first 13 months I averaged a measly profit (like you) of .37 cents per hour. Now guys, stop rolling on the floor laughing!! My best finishes being second twice in freerolls, but only 16th in the buy-ins.
However, after reading many books and putting that info into practice, this past Memorial Day weekend I had some breakouts. I made two final tables in 5 tourneys. The first one I finished 6th on Friday ($76), and then I won Monday night netting $506. That has now boosted my average to just over $4.00 per hour on these tourneys.

What I am getting at is that they are a cheap way to practice without risking much money. They ARE valuable to someone starting out. They can allow you to find YOUR style of play. Everyone needs to develope the experience to put all of the many small pieces of our game together with the ability to then change gears to throw our opponents off and that TAKES TIME.
You will need to learn how to play when struggling from behind as I did when finishing sixth by stealing blinds and making small plays, but you will need to also learn how to play on the lead. I did that for the first time when I won on Memorial Day. I took the chip lead at $40,000 and rarely gave it up until the final deal between me and the second place guy (me 2.45 mil in chips and he 1.35 mil).
Just last night I was 31st and felt I could have done better. Now, I EXPECT to get to the final table!! IN time you will too!
Take what you can from all sources, but once again, develop YOUR style, but you have to adapt to what the game gives you.
Good luck and be patient. Stupoman44

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post and good advice - I agree. The STTs help out with shorthanded/final table play too...
Old 06-05-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, I EXPECT to get to the final table!! IN time you will too!

[/ QUOTE ]

i expect to bust out of the money when i enter a tournament.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok cool. doesnt sound too bad as long as i dont have to wear any pieces of flair while this is going on
Old 06-05-2006, 03:39 PM

I started similar, smaller buy ins on party, maybe hit a 20 here and there. Cashed alot, actually hit a good % of final tables first couple months. Had a friend who plays Full Time, and said my play was very tight. I research the crap out of everything, so did the same on poker. I noticed I would hit the money alot, but my swings were HUGE 6 months in.

So when the cards were dry or the beats were bad, so was my success, timid to play at certain points, waiting for a hand, then get AA 2x bb and have 4 callers and loose. Started railing my buddy and left my mind open to styles and technique.

After saying all that, bubbling sucks for sure, but playing for the entry cash never got me to a final table, only the cards did back then. You arrange your style to what fits for you, fine tuning, and it will always need fine tuning, to find out how you can maximize when running good, and minimize when running bad. And just playing for ITM, i dont think allows you for alot of fine tuning for big $$ play deep in a tourn, IMO.

I feel that if you always feel like you have a lot to learn, and are smart with your $$, you will find a style that will allow you to win consistently and move up buy in levels with nice success.