Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2006, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Anyone mind this slowplay?

This is a VERY common mis-application of the "waiting until the turn to raise" concept. A lot of players believe that since there is no way to protect their hand that they should wait for the turn. The fact is that with a set, you don't NEED to protect your hand on the flop. Your equity is high enough that you're making an IMMEDIATE profit on every bet that goes into the pot.

Re-read this section in SSH and you'll see that NOWHERE does it advocate waiting until the turn with a hand as strong as a set.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM

grunch:

not a big fan of the slowplay. Raise it!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:58 PM

Recall the following sentence in SSHE on p. 183:

"If a cheap card is not likely to beat you or give your opponents profitable draws, if the pot is small enough to risk losing, and if your opponents will fold if you bet or raise, but might not if you don't, consider slowplaying."

I don't think any of these conditions apply here. The pot is a good size, your opponents are likely to call a raise, and the next card off could definitely beat you.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Recall the following sentence in SSHE on p. 183:

"If a cheap card is not likely to beat you or give your opponents profitable draws, if the pot is small enough to risk losing, and if your opponents will fold if you bet or raise, but might not if you don't, consider slowplaying."

I don't think any of these conditions apply here. The pot is a good size, your opponents are likely to call a raise, and the next card off could definitely beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll concede this one. I reread that right after I posted and reconsidered. Yeah, I guess the pot is big enough already (11SB when action comes to me). My opponents will definitely call the raise.

My only disagreement is that I'm not really worried about the next card beating me. I think we can rule out anything in straight range for BB, and both limpers were in an unattractive situation for suited connectors when they made their preflop decisions (doesn't mean they didn't do it, but overcards/one pair/weak backdoor draws are more likely, I believe). If I'm gonna lose this one, I think the most likely way is a four-straight river.

On the bright side, it did work out - Turn was a 2 for my boat, BB led, both limpers called and I raised with the lock. But I'll consider that lucky and play accordingly next time. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:41 PM

It 's not that you got lucky or anything. You just didn't get as much value as you could have.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:04 PM

If you aren't going to raise this for value 10 times out of 10, think of it another way. You have a 2 straight on the board and micro's love their connectors so you certainly don't want to give a free card to a draw. What? BB is already charging for the draw? Well charge more. There are few situations where betting the nuts is wrong but many where calling with it is. Until you learn the difference, just bet your frikken hand.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I raised with the lock.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you know nobody was slowplaying 22?

Edit bolded.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a VERY common mis-application of the "waiting until the turn to raise" concept. A lot of players believe that since there is no way to protect their hand that they should wait for the turn. The fact is that with a set, you don't NEED to protect your hand on the flop. Your equity is high enough that you're making an IMMEDIATE profit on every bet that goes into the pot.

Re-read this section in SSH and you'll see that NOWHERE does it advocate waiting until the turn with a hand as strong as a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I agree with the content of your post, and that this hand should not be slowplayed, in OP's defense I don't think that he was "waiting until the turn to protect his hand" so much as he was trying to extract max value from what he perceived was a situation in which he had a virtual lock on a ragged board.

Had you flopped quads and it was checked to you, a slowplay might be fine just to assure that your bet doesn't fold everybody. But you've got a big pot, your hand, though quite strong, is not a lock, and most importantly someone is betting into you! If you have a nice laggy image, you might get somebody to 3-bet you with 88 or something like that and keep trapping those MF'ers.