Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Top 15 Sci-Fi Movies of the 1950s - how do yours compare?

-- RayZee
Crawling Eye -- good, but not good enough for my top 15 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Creature from the Black Lagoon -- Tiz good, but I put this more in the horror camp than the SciFi

3D movies - Creature from the Black Lagoon was one of them! Off the top of my head, there was also 'Mystery of the Wax Museum' (or something like that), Bwana Devil. There was also assorted 'gimmick' movies, the best of which was the Tingler - where they actually wired up a few chairs to give patrons electric shocks! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

King Kong - too early for this list, not sure if it's even SciFi.

Atomic kid with micky rooney - no haven't seen that.

The time machine - made in 1960, I might do a 1960s one sometime.

Journey to the center of the earth - completely missed that one, but not sure it's SciFi, and it wouldn't be in my top 15, but it is a pretty good movie.

War of the Worlds - it's on my list! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2006, 10:46 AM

On the Beach appeared in '59. BTW, have you seen Monolith Monsters? Some people seem to like it, but I thought it incredibly dumb as a kid. I might also put Journey to the Center of the Earth on my list--even though it might be a genre bender.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the Beach appeared in '59. BTW, have you seen Monolith Monsters? Some people seem to like it, but I thought it incredibly dumb as a kid.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow! I thought I was a 50's scifi buff, but never heard of it. But written by the guy who directed 'The Incredible Shrinking Man', and starrring the lead from the same.... I gotta see this soon.

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 AM

OK, I was hoping that somebody else would say this, but I guess it is up to me. As much as I enjoyed watching Johnny Depp play Ed Wood, and as much as I used to enjoy the Great Criswell making predictions on Johnny Carson's show ( The United States will be overrun by Arctic Ice Worms!), if Plan 9 isn't the worst film ever made, it is its functional equivalent. Unless you get off to humiliation and embarassment, this film has no merit whatsoever. If you have it in your Netflix queue, you are spewing. It's just awful.

Do the Godzilla/Rodan flicks count as Sci-Fi?

The only one I've seen in the last few years is Body Snatchers, and I thought it held up very well.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:20 AM

"Queen of Outer Space" had to be one of the worst. However, I must admit that I've watched it more than once.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I was hoping that somebody else would say this, but I guess it is up to me. As much as I enjoyed watching Johnny Depp play Ed Wood, and as much as I used to enjoy the Great Criswell making predictions on Johnny Carson's show ( The United States will be overrun by Arctic Ice Worms!), if Plan 9 isn't the worst film ever made, it is its functional equivalent. Unless you get off to humiliation and embarassment, this film has no merit whatsoever. If you have it in your Netflix queue, you are spewing. It's just awful.

The only one I've seen in the last few years is Body Snatchers, and I thought it held up very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I really like Plan 9. When I was 13, I worked through a long hot summer in a dry cleaners to buy a super 8 projector and 2 movies (this was before video [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) : one of them was 'Plan 9'...

I've seen it 15-20 times maybe? I really enjoy it, for both the mistakes, gaffs and all that - it fulfulls my number 1 criteria for a movie; it entertains!

I'd include Godzilla etc, but they aren't in my top 15.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I really like Plan 9. When I was 13, I worked through a long hot summer in a dry cleaners to buy a super 8 projector and 2 movies (this was before video [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) : one of them was 'Plan 9'...

I've seen it 15-20 times maybe? I really enjoy it, for both the mistakes, gaffs and all that - it fulfulls my number 1 criteria for a movie; it entertains!

I'd include Godzilla etc, but they aren't in my top 15.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent $8 tonight (actually $16, since I paid for my date's ticket) to see the latest X-Men flick, and have decided to retract my remarks about Plan 9. As I endured X-Men, I tried to pass the time by reflecting on how much better a movie it would have been if had been directed by Ed Wood, Jr. If the spirit of Mr. Wood should read this forum, I hope he will accept my apologies. Diebitter is correct: in its own dreadful way, Plan 9 entertains.