Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: The college kids not working..it makes me sick.....

Who wants to work for the man?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off I just want to say that I joined this community after reading 9 pages of this thread. I stopped reading afterwards because it's pretty much the same stuff being repeated over and over again, if I missed anything important after page 9 then let me know.

First off I want to say that the OP really screwed up what could've been potentially great advice because of his arrogance and what I'm assuming is jealousy. Thanks man, that's really great that you took a positive message and ran it straight into the ground through your negativity and name calling, moron.

Second of all, the OP said that if he had to choose between hiring someone with a 4.0 GPA and no work experience and someone with work experience and a lower GPA he would pick the lower GPA? How does that work? So you're saying that it doesn't take any work ethic to get a 4.0 GPA? I have friends who have 3.8-4.0 GPA's and work harder on their school work then anybody at Best Buy. Don't downplay other people's hard work just because it doesn't fit your vision of how people should live their lives. Any idiot can get a job at Best Buy and half ass it, it takes REAL hard work to get 4.0 GPA, remember that. If it wasn't like that, then what is the point of getting a degree in the first place.

It seems to me like you're living in just as much of a fantasy world as some of the kids who want to play poker professionally. So they just hand out jobs with 60k in salary? Wow cool! Sign me up!

Also, let me make this very clear, as some people just don't seem to realize this. YOU ARE NOT CONTRIBUTING ANYTHING TO SOCIETY BY GETTING A JOB, PERIOD. If you quit, some other schmuck takes your place. You are neither helping nor hurting anyone by getting a job, you get a job for financial security, nothing more. I'm not saying you don't take pride in your work, but if you think that your job as a Wall Street Trader or some [censored] is having a positive outcome on the world around you, you need to get a reality check.

People who join the military, do community service, etc. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY, if you aren't doing these things, don't even talk about how much you contribute to the world around you, because you don't contribute a god damn thing. Respect the veterans, they are the real heroes not you. You don't contribute [censored], you just collect a paycheck. Remember that next time you're watching the news and you start hearing about soldiers in Iraq.

And what was that comment about your 18 old son playing poker and you would throw him out of the house? Nice, I bet you would win father of the year for that one. If you don't agree with your child's lifestyle choices that's one thing, but if you're going to throw them out on their asses for it. You're a bad father, period. At the very least charge the kid rent if you want to make a point.

You know what makes me sick? People who think at the age of 29 they have everything in life figured out......

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found this thread particularly amusing. I thought this was a nice post, it's just that people decided to take certain parts out of context. It seems like people scan posts for parts they find offensive and go all ape. Not everyone who possesses a certain way of thinking has to be either a bush fanatic or tree hugger. It upsets me that people would automaticaly associate the military with the courrutption of government because of some generic anti-establishment sentiment. I mean yeah, they can be related, but it just reflects a rather narrow-minded attitude.

But yea, this world is a bit more complex than jobs and poker and such. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, it is very possible to have a summer job and still get 10-20 hours of poker per week.

[/ QUOTE ]good posting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just graduated college 3 years ago, and I am the only one of my friends to be making that much, and thats from poker. The average starting salary for college grads is not nearly that high imo. Sure there are some exceptions, but those exceptions are only as relevant as the exceptions of those who make a ton of money from poker....in other words, meaningless to the average person.