Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: AA in CO late in Party 40k

What makes you say you didn't think he had KQ or AK? I had some trouble figuring out what he might have, but could you go into a little more detail as to why you don't think he had just a K?

And yeah he did play the river pretty well, I'll give him credit.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Given your read that he has not been fighting back until now, I check behind on the river. Its WA/WB. If he was a calling station up til now trying to foil your blind steals, I like the river value bet.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:35 PM

The reason why I don't think he has KQ or AK is this. He check calls the flop. Obviously a) he's trapping or b) he's not too sure about where he stands and worries about Hero having AK if he has KQ or Hero having AA. Now on the turn he bets out. Why would he do this if he wasn't sure about where he stood? I would expect him to check again. Now if he's trapping with a K wouldn't he check again? He had KK which seems like his bet on the turn didn't make sense but I think he bet out to build a bigger pot.

I guess it's just the check call on the flop followed by the turn bet that seemed a bit odd to me. I don't think it was impossible for him to have a K but for some reason I just didn't buy it.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the analysis, I see your line of thinking now. I don't know that he can put me on AA as that's one of MANY hands in my reasonably wide range here. I made a c-bet on the flop to try and disguise the AA, so he could think he's ahead here with even KQ, as I have followed up nearly all my steal attempts with c-bets.

The check/call, lead the turn is pretty popular as a way to extract more chips with top pair, as I've read in some of the anthology posts here. I guess the river check was the one that really threw me off, as I expected him to make a value bet himself. Instead of trusting my instincts and playing it safe, I had a muscle spasm and decided to push...oh well, live and learn.