Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 12:47 PM

Default How tight?

I'm a winning player at micro limit holdem. But as of late im really finding it hard to understand how tight i should be. I've read alot of articles and books, saying at this limit i should only play the top ten hands. But this doesnt seem tight enough. Every hand people call me to the river with a 2 outer and win! It is getting ridiculous.

I know in the long run these types of players are losing players, but there are so many of them it happens so often. If i just wait for the nuts and play it, ill play maybe 1 hand every 2 rounds. And even if i play AA i cant be sure of a decent flop.

This is my current limit strategy at the moment. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

With AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 10/10, 9/9, AK, AQ, AJ, A10s. I raise preflop and always represent on the flop with another raise. (i think this may be a weakness vs these players as they call everything)

In late position i limp in with any suited connectors and AX suited. K10, KJ, KQ ect.

Just about all other hands i fold yet it doesnt seem tight enough. Any responses on how to improve at this limit, good strategies, opinions and idea would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: How tight?

Stick around. You've got a lot to learn.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:19 PM

You are probably thinking that because your hands do not fit with the board, you have to pitch them post-flop. This is normal. You have to get used to dumping a lot of hands pre-flop, and then the hands you take to the flop, you will dump on the flop. This is part of poker. The more experience you gain, this will seem like routine, and not craziness. In general, you have to consider how you play these hands post-flop.

What books have you read specifically?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:30 PM

theory of poker, caros book of tells, phil hellmuth on poker and another random one. I have moved to 25/50 and im going bit better. i think i need to realise that its not amount of pots won, its the size of the one you do win.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:59 PM

Here is a link to a starting hand chart that was posted a while ago. (Poster was Commie).

http://www.lineusup.com/chart1.xls

I think that this chart is a bit too tight, but you will see that it contains a lot more hands than you seem to have been playing.

If you can have a look at SSHE by Ed Miller (the 2+2 bible), Internet Texas Holdem by Hilger and Winning Low Limit HoldEm 3rd Edition by Jones.

They all offer decent preflop strategy in chart form or otherwise.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
theory of poker, caros book of tells, phil hellmuth on poker and another random one. I have moved to 25/50 and im going bit better. i think i need to realise that its not amount of pots won, its the size of the one you do win.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, TOP is good, but it does not address specifically micros. Also Caro's book is getting a bit outdated and does not apply to online play. You should take a look at a) Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Jones, b) Getting Started in Hold'em by Miller and c) Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller.

Buzz