Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Kill Phil Chart

[ QUOTE ]
Now that the official charts are out, how does that compare to New York Jet's chart above?

And Upright Bill => BillsPhilKiller.zip cannt be found. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cards don't compare to the chart at all. E.g., the on-line chart posted earlier is something you can just glance at and tell if you need to push or fold. The cards list what kinds of hand you should push with. E.g., Push with 66, AK, and AQs from the cutoff with a big stack (presumably, the chart means 66 or greater, but it doesn't specifically say that.)

In contrast, in the chart above, just look for blue, green, yellow, or red hands.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Kill Phil Calculator

[ QUOTE ]
I've received several PMs about my program. I am apprehensive about releasing it, because...
[*]It does a little more than just calculate. My version parses a PartyPoker hand history and fills in the information for you (thus the File and Options menus).<ul type="square">[*]My fear is that one could easily create an AHK script for an instant bot.[*]The other problem is that if Party changes their HH format (seems to happen often), I don't want to be flooded with support questions.[/list][*]My version uses SAGE instead of moving in every hand when heads-up, so it's not exactly a Kill Phil calculator.[*]I get the feeling that Lee did not appreciate my original chart (I think it only helped to increase curiosity and sales in the 2+2 community, but what do I know). The program on the other hand could be seen as a replacement for buying the book (not my intent...go buy the book and the charts damn it).

So if you send me a PM requesting a copy, you will not be getting a response from me. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would find it interesting, and a little disheartening, if the authors objected to the cards and the program. After-all, it seems that the core concept of their entire book is Sklansky's "System" that he previously published ... "all" they did was flesh the idea out some more. They continually mention this fact throughout the book.

It seems somewhat disingenuous for someone who writes a book based on someone else's idea to then object to others who might put out charts or a program that are based on their ideas.

I realize that I am making an assumption here that they are objecting to the cards and the program. It may in fact be that the NY Jet may see a way to turn a buck, which is a good thing.

As to whether the use of the program is ethical, there were some good discussions of similar calculators in the 7 Stud forum a while back. The programs remembered all the up cards and presented a variety of odds based on your cards and the known (remembered cards).

NCAces
Old 04-30-2006, 03:28 PM

sorry to bump an old thread, but it's something i'm interested in...

and BTW, i do have the kill phil book but i'm away from home for a couple of months and only brought a couple of books (and ended up buying some more here), but my kill phil is at home.

anyhow, i'm looking at the charts and wondering something..... does the "kill phil" system or these charts differentiate "unraised pot" vs. "first in"? the charts don't seem to, although i realize it would make it very large.

taking the chart literally, it seems like it matters where the raise came from, not your own position... as i said, i'm looking at the "raised by" in the pot column. or do they mean to just say "raised"......

i realize it's a reasonably simple system and can't take into account all factors (especially reading other players).

FYI, reason i'm asking is that i played large no-limit B&amp;M tourney yesterday (river rock in richmond, B.C. FWIW), got a pretty big stack early on and eventually a few hours later found the blinds and antes getting on me and the players were very aggressive..

afterwards, i read phil gordon (one of the books i brought from home) and now i'm torn as to whether i should have been more patient (CPR = 8 and had been dropping quickly) or stolen and re-stolen more often. seems when i had position i had bad cards (and very aggressive play in general - usually already raised or i had poor cards when i was CO/button)..... anyhow, lost on TT vs. AK all-in pre-flop, which was small bad luck, although i had amazing luck in building a big stack early.... also a few hands before, wondered if i should have called an all-in with AQs against guy who had been building with all-ins from desperately short to now reasonable position (i find often when people come back from the dead with all-ins they just keep going, but it was alot of chips).

sorry for the huge writeup... actually just want to understand the charts. they either don't take account of your own position or the raiser's???? thanks in advance for any responses!
Old 04-30-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does the "kill phil" system or these charts differentiate "unraised pot" vs. "first in"? the charts don't seem to, although i realize it would make it very large.

taking the chart literally, it seems like it matters where the raise came from, not your own position...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's right. When it's been raised before you, the chart tells you what to do based on your cards and the position of the raiser.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does the "kill phil" system or these charts differentiate "unraised pot" vs. "first in"? the charts don't seem to, although i realize it would make it very large.

taking the chart literally, it seems like it matters where the raise came from, not your own position...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's right. When it's been raised before you, the chart tells you what to do based on your cards and the position of the raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the clarification!!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:52 PM

Those of you that remember my Kill Phil Online Helper program may be interested in knowing that it is now available. It is greatly improved since the original version and includes Lee Nelson and Blair Rodman's new heads up strategy which is not contained in the original book.

Bill
Old 06-03-2006, 12:27 PM

Hi Bill. I purchased your product the other day. Thanks for making it available. I had a few quick questions as I was going through it.

Does the program incorporate the move-in phase from the book?

Also, are you considering adding a drop down so you can switch strategies in a future release (i.e., drop down for KP basic plus live; rookie; etc.)? Or is it only going to be based solely on the internet strategy?

Thanks.

rbilabronze
Old 06-03-2006, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bill. I purchased your product the other day. Thanks for making it available. I had a few quick questions as I was going through it.

Does the program incorporate the move-in phase from the book?

Also, are you considering adding a drop down so you can switch strategies in a future release (i.e., drop down for KP basic plus live; rookie; etc.)? Or is it only going to be based solely on the internet strategy?

Thanks.

rbilabronze

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello rbilabronze,

Thank you for purchasing the program.

The program implements the Online strategy from the book with the exception of heads-up. The heads-up strategy was developed by Lee and Blair after the book was written. I've heard that several people have bought KPOH for that alone.

I haven't even thought about implementing the other KP strategies within the current program because it never occured to me. I have had a couple of requests for a Pocket PC or Palm version that implements the B&amp;M strategy.

On the other hand, one of the things Lee and I have discussed is making sure that KPOH is always updated to the current Kill Phil strategy. They (Lee and Blair) intend to update the strategy as tournament poker evolves. This has already happened once, with the new heads-up strategy.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you a direct answer to your question, I will add it to the "To Be Considered" feature request list.

Bill
Old 06-04-2006, 08:44 PM

How will future updates be made available?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those of you that remember my Kill Phil Online Helper program may be interested in knowing that it is now available. It is greatly improved since the original version and includes Lee Nelson and Blair Rodman's new heads up strategy which is not contained in the original book.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

where can we get the program? I went to your webpage posted earlier and when i clicked on the program it gave me a page not found error.