Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Default calling when you cannot win

Is there ever a time when you'd call when you cannot win?

Example:

7-Stud hi
(X)(X) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (X)
(7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])(8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

Let's assume you had odds to call until 7th street, and you are sure there's no point in raising. Would you ever call 7th? For image, to see his starting hand, or in case there's a fifth Jack in his hand. The pot can be as big as you'd like from action from others if necessary (or you put in tons of bets headsup on 5th for an unknown reason).

And for any wiseguys, winning a jackpot while losing the pot is still winning.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: calling when you cannot win

[ QUOTE ]
Is there ever a time when you'd call when you cannot win?

Example:

7-Stud hi
(X)(X) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (X)
(7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])(8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

Let's assume you had odds to call until 7th street, and you are sure there's no point in raising. Would you ever call 7th? For image, to see his starting hand, or in case there's a fifth Jack in his hand. The pot can be as big as you'd like from action from others if necessary (or you put in tons of bets headsup on 5th for an unknown reason).

And for any wiseguys, winning a jackpot while losing the pot is still winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose in this situation with him leading the river it gives you some information to see whether he has better than the board. It could pay in the future if you have the board beaten but cant beat anything better than the board and he bets out.

I wouldnt waste the money online, since you arent likely to see enough of him to make it worthwhile. In a recurring home game I might.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:17 PM

My favorite reason is to see if there is a fifth jack in his hand. That is definitely worth a call.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:29 PM

Yes, only if in a heads up game. It may be worth a call just to see your opponents starting hand if you are in a heads up match with an opponent who you do not know.

As for image, in a heads up macth there will be plenty of opportunities to make calls for image but with a chance to to take the pot. In a ring game one may want to "blow everyones' mind" by making an illogical call every once and a while because in a stud ring game you want calls most of the time and in a two way game most of the time you don't.

As for a fifth Jack, if you are in a game were you have the pot odds for calling for the chance of seeing a fifth Jack you are definitly in the wrong game.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose in this situation with him leading the river it gives you some information to see whether he has better than the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet he doesn't have better then four of a kind jacks.

For the OP - I would call if I hated money.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:56 AM

This is a ridiculous story, but I assure you it is true. It could be that he was retarded, but the most amazing thing happened, and he claimed that was the ONLY reason he made the call.

Basically... a friend of mine called with the 2nd or 3rd nut low thinking that the opponent, who was a decent player for the most part, was on a busted draw and bet out in desperation on the river.

So, anyway, my friend calls, and the guy "knows" his busted draw cannot win throws his hand in the muck. True story.

Not sure if that counts as calling when you know you can't win. But, it happened.

-RMJ
Old 06-04-2006, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite reason is to see if there is a fifth jack in his hand. That is definitely worth a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL THis made me laugh so hard