Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Single For Life?

Look at those old guys at the poker table... The old dude in a tight shirt (where the buttons look like they're going to fly off) and a cowboy hat...you want to be that? Think of how sad that guy looks when his only piece of advice is "If it has t*ts or wheels it's gonna give you hell."

I use to want to be a bachelor until i died...then i met my gf...still not married though and still refusing her proposal...never gonna get me alive copper!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 AM

I used to think so. Then the right one comes along and suddenly being single isn't so great anymore.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:46 AM

You will regret this choice if you stick with it, however I'd bet you'll meet some girl that will make you change your mind, anyway. And, if you have kids, trust me, despite your feelings now, you will be glad that you did.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:51 AM

How old is the OP? Seriously.

This viewpoint coming from a 22 year old is much different than same view from a 35 year old.

If you're <25, I'd say stfu and repost this in 5-7 years. Things can change quite a bit for you in that stage of life.

Over 30, well, your decision... Keep an open mind though, she just might come along....

Edit: From 401k thread, OP is early 30's.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM

Cheap skate.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my 401K post that is a sticky in the finance forum I stated that I don't want to get married becuase I do not think I should ever have to pay some woman to get the hell out of my house when I think it is the time now that she should leave.

I also do not want kids, a dog is more than enough and obedience training is cheaper than college, and they don't ask for money, and they don't cause my car insurance to go up.

So has anyone here made this consience decision to live the bachalor life until they die?

Humphrey

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is anything wrong with choosing not to marry if that's what you believe will make you happiest long term.

I do think making every life decision in terms of dollars and cents is an easy way to miss a lot of joy.

I'm pretty young (though not by OOT standards!), and I have a reasonably aggressive investing strategy for my 401(k) and Roth. The larger the risk, the larger the potential reward. I approach my personal life the same way. My fiance is the best return I have ever gotten.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I imagine it'd be fun until about 40.. think of being 65 - bachelor life doesn't seem quite so much fun in the long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, then you get to become a dirty old man, and it's a different kind of fun.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:03 PM

I have made this decision as well. I just don't want the responsbility of kids. I am a very laid back and apathetic dude I don't think I could be strict enough or punish my kids enough to make them grow up into decent human beings. They would get away with everything. Its more of a I would want to have kids that I didn't want to take care of thing. However, I am only 21 and know that this opinion could change at any moment down the road, and I am positve that if I do ever have a kid that it will be the most important thing in my life just as of right now I do not ever really want a family.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my 401K post that is a sticky in the finance forum I stated that I don't want to get married becuase I do not think I should ever have to pay some woman to get the hell out of my house when I think it is the time now that she should leave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, prenups handle this sort of thing.

Live the life that makes you most happy. That could be a bachelor life.

However, at some point you may meet someone that you enjoy being with so much that eventually you decide it's worth almost everything to take even a shot at spending your life with them. It's not a feeling you can convey with any amount of words. Either you've felt it or you haven't.

I'm not sure everyone ever meets someone that thrills them that way, not sure everyone even can feel that emotion. Maybe some people feel it too easily and it fades quickly.

I guess all I'm saying is be agnostic about it. Don't force yourself to believe you should be single or married, just go with what feels right.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, prenups handle this sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly have no knowledge on the subjust however my understanding is the prenub is "pre" marriage and has zero to do with any gains afterwards