Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Drug Laws poll

End drug prohibition, make all drugs legal.

Immediately pardon all non-violent drug offenders who are currently incarcerated.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Immediately pardon all non-violent drug offenders who are currently incarcerated.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically my viewpoint. Going to school in a liberal college in the northwest this opinion isn't terribly rare, but among the general population how common is it? Drugs are bad m'kay is incredibly ingrained in culture right now - is it realistic to think that in 25 years would we see the end to the war on drugs? I really have no idea, but it's something I feel very strongly about. Getting this into mainstream debate is the first step, but the closest I've seen even in Canada is the marijuana decriminalization movement.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-01-2006, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it realistic to think that in 25 years would we see the end to the war on drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse not. It's a perpetual war. Don't you get that? It's a racket. Just like military war or any govt program for that matter.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically my viewpoint. Going to school in a liberal college in the northwest this opinion isn't terribly rare, but among the general population how common is it? Drugs are bad m'kay is incredibly ingrained in culture right now - is it realistic to think that in 25 years would we see the end to the war on drugs? I really have no idea, but it's something I feel very strongly about. Getting this into mainstream debate is the first step, but the closest I've seen even in Canada is the marijuana decriminalization movement.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 125yrs for MJ. When I was in college in the late 80's MJ was decriminalized in Alaska. Then it went the other way. There is strong concerted govt pressure to keep all drugs illegal. Soros is funding legalization of MJ or at least he was. If the view of why it makes sense to have MJ legalized or at least decriminalized isn't regualarly portreyed on TV in a positive light to sway public opinion and fuel voter sentiment I don't see it happening.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is it realistic to think that in 25 years would we see the end to the war on drugs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse not. It's a racket. Just any govt program.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-01-2006, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 125yrs for MJ. When I was in college in the late 80's MJ was decriminalized in Alaska. Then it went the other way. There is strong concerted govt pressure to keep all drugs illegal. Soros is funding legalization of MJ or at least he was. If the view of why it makes sense to have MJ legalized or at least decriminalized isn't regualarly portreyed on TV in a positive light to sway public opinion and fuel voter sentiment I don't see it happening.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there lobby groups or legitament organizations trying to change this? It seems that many intelligent people believe that current drug laws are terrible, but I don't see a thing on TV or in the newspapers. Hopefully there are those that want to change that and I want to help!

-SmileyEH
Old 06-02-2006, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there lobby groups or legitament organizations trying to change this? It seems that many intelligent people believe that current drug laws are terrible, but I don't see a thing on TV or in the newspapers. Hopefully there are those that want to change that and I want to help!

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to follow the 'movement' a little bit. I have not done so in years. There are email newsletters and things where you could get info.

Last I heard George Soros (runs a massive hedge fund and is mega rich) was for MJ legalization/decriminalization and funded inniatives in CA. DAS for Soros and Marijuana should pull some stuff up.

Ed Rosenthal (sp?) DAS
Eroid
MAPS (multidisiplinary association for psycheledic studies) or something close to that
Marijuana legalization
similar googles
High Times Magazine
Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 PM

Default Re: A Third Option?

While decriminalization is an option, it is likely to prove a worse option that either legalization or continued prohibition. Decriminalization fails to solve any of the harms associated with prohibition (except for imposition of criminal records on possessors...though even that is questionable given that decrim usually involves fines and some form of police contact and thus record) and also fails to impose any control on the black market.

But your post compels me to talk a bit about definitions. Legalization is often conceptualized as a sort of free market free for all - cannabis on sale at the supermarket and heroin at party stores. It doesn't need to be, and in fact shouldn't be. A legal but tightly regulated market is an option that makes a lot of sense. Indeed, it is arguable that we have really failed to properly regulate the alcohol and tobacco industries leading to increased social harms. The ad-driven glorification of drinking is an example of this.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's a few good places to begin digging. Feel free to PM me for more information. This is my field, both academically and professionally, and I'm happy to help anyone with an interest in getting involved.

Media Reports

Media Awareness Project

US

Drug Policy Alliance
Common Sense for Drug Policy
NORML

Canada

BC Marijuana Party
The VICS
Canadian Foundation for Drug Policy

UK

Transform Drug Policy Media Awareness Project BC Civil Liberties Association