Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Omaha8 books

Ciaffone is said to be doing a rewrite and/or new edition of his well regarded Omaha book.

Ciaffone's and Zee's offerings are generally considered the gold standard.

I'm unfamiliar with the Tenner/Krieger book but am now curious.

I've read about half of Cappelletti. Clearly he didn't splurge any of his Omaha winnings on an editor. It is very disjointed which really impacts a reader's ability to get a lot from his writing. The book has been described as a collection of his Card Player articles. I wish it were even that organized. That he never loses a hand in any of his examples is fairly curious as well. I remember and learn from my losses. Cappelletti evidently doesn't. This is one book I regret buying and there aren't many.

I've skimmed/read about 2/3 of the SS2 O8B section and it looks very promising and educational.

A sleeper is the very basic overview in Helmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros". While I'm not high on the book's other sections, the O8B chapter gives a pretty fair if concise overview of starting hands and playing possibilities. I got more out of this chapter than the Cappelletti offering.

I'd be generally leery of the Cloutier/McEvoy book (though I've not read it) based on their average (at best) hold 'em work.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:20 AM

I am currently reading Tenner / Kreiger. It's great for a complete noob like me and probably has some useful stuff in it for real players too.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:39 PM

I finished Cappelletti's book now. I think it has made my game bit better but it sure is very disorganized. Most I liked 50 last pages where he goes through some hand he has played. They might not be that instuctional but pretty fun to read. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Next step, I will read some of High-Low-Split poker by Ray Zee.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm unfamiliar with the Tenner/Krieger book but am now curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read Zee and have Ciaffone's rewrite and neither are even in the same ballpark as the Kreiger book. Three betting with high only hands that Zee told me to fold has already net me several hundo. I am going to reread SS2, Zee and Ciaffone but I am pretty sure there isn't much that isn't covered in the Kreiger book.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 PM

I have read about 40 pages of Zees book and I am starting to doubt it. He seems to have totally opposite views from Cappelletti.

For example Zee writes: "In conclusion, the high hands do very well in heads-up pots and short-handed pots." Cappelletti suggest high-hands are underdogs in heads-up and only good in multiway bot.

What little experience I have tends to support view of avoiding high only heads-up. If flop is high only then opponent usually folds at flop and my win is small. If flop has two or more low hands best I can usually do is win half pot and sometimes lose it all. So on average I am losing money with high-only in heads-up.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:22 AM

I finished Zee'a book (Except questions at end). I am quite disappointed of it. It really doesn't seem to be "For Advanced players" but rather "For Beginners". It seems to scratch basic concepts of Omaha8 in very shallow way. It seems very fond of telling "play this way" in very general way and rarely explaining why that way is good.

While Cappelletti's book was extremely badly structured I think I learned lot more from it. It made me think and gave some new ideas to try. Zee just told same "play only good hands" over and over again.

For someone who wants to improve his Omaha8 I would recommend Cappelletti's "How to win at omaha high-low poker" from these two books. It is annoying to read because of it's bad structure but at least writer usually tries to tell why he thinks his way is good.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:30 AM

yeah the main issue with zee's book is that the omaha section is only half.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 AM

Both books are much better than average poker books. They should make any average player considerably better and pay for themselves within a day or 2. They keep paying for themselves again & again if you follow their concepts and use them to both to build your own style & more accurately read other players.