Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 09:40 PM

Default Theoretical legal question

I hate it when pedestrians try to cross the road by judging the speed of the cars (i.e. they start running across the road while cars are in the way. for Christ's sake, wait for a break).

If I were to *unintentionally* slow down and it threw off their timing causing them to run smack into my car, would I be legally responsible? If not, what is your opinion if it happened in a crosswalk?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Theoretical legal question

I'm fairly confident that the pedestrian does NOT have the right of way unless he is crossing the street at a crosswalk with the "WALK" light on... in which case your should not be moving in the first place.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 PM

are yo usaying that a pedestrian just is running along and runs into the side of your car? How could that ever be your fault?
Old 06-01-2006, 09:49 PM

I don't know, my roommate was arguing that the pedestrian "always has the right of way". I like you guys figured that is only applicable in a crosswalk and only if they're out in front of the cars.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:53 PM

If a pedestrian J-walks and you hit him you'd have a pretty good case.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:00 PM

if he jaywalks and gets hit or hits any part of your car you wont be legally liable unless ure drunk....

technically ure supposed to stop for any pedestrian that is even on the sidewalk betwen the white lines. (believe me, my brother failed his drivers test for this). so this could possibly be your fault.

ps- great idea
Old 06-01-2006, 10:09 PM

It depends where you live.

In BC canada, the pedestrian always has the right away...I obviously don't know if there's a stupid law about a pedestrian RUNNING into your car, but if you hit a jaywalker here you are at fault.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when pedestrians try to cross the road by judging the speed of the cars (i.e. they start running across the road while cars are in the way. for Christ's sake, wait for a break).

If I were to *unintentionally* slow down and it threw off their timing causing them to run smack into my car, would I be legally responsible? If not, what is your opinion if it happened in a crosswalk?

[/ QUOTE ]

On a related note, I hate it when I'm timing the cars to cross the street and one of the cars slows down screwing everything up.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:15 PM

On another related note, I hate it when I'm going to jaywalk and there is only 1 car and he decides to slow down and stop for me instead of just going, wtf dude you're confusing the hell out of me and wasting your time. just [censored] go.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On another related note, I hate it when I'm going to jaywalk and there is only 1 car and he decides to slow down and stop for me instead of just going, wtf dude you're confusing the hell out of me and wasting your time. just [censored] go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another thing I hate is when I'm biking on the road and cars don't pass me. Technically they shouldn't, but come on.