Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 08:41 AM

Default Super Smash Bros Melee

I posted this in Puzzles and Games, but I thought it would get a good response here too.

So I haven't played this game in over a year. But my friend (who I haven't seen in over a year) is back for the summer and he's gotten really good at this game. He's able to play a large number of characters and pretty much destroys me every time. Now being the competitive, gambling man that I am, I instinctively want to get better at this game so I can beat him.

The problem is, I don't know which character to practice with and I don't feel like trying out every character to see which one fits my style. So I was hoping you all could help me with this.

A little about my play style. I was really good at the original N64 version. I had Pikachu and Fox mastered to a certain degree. My strengths were rolling, throwing, and aerial attacks. Since Fox and Pikachu had very fast rolls and throws, they become my best characters. Fox's aerial attacks were good as well. I had this timing for these maneuvers down pretty well.

I never got really good at Melee, largely because the effectiveness of rolling and throwing was severely cut down. I understand why they did this because these tactics were probably overly powerful in the original game. The only characters I tried to get good at were Zelda/Shiek and Fox.

I can't deal with slow characters so I guess I'm looking for a character who is fast, has good aerial attacks, and maybe a fast roll. Knowing this, what character is strong and that you think would fit my playing style.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Super Smash Bros Melee

www.gamefaqs.com
Old 06-01-2006, 08:50 AM

I'm not about to go and read every FAQ. Besides, there is no comparative FAQ there.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:00 AM

Link was clearly the superior character in the n64 version. I could beat three of my friends at a time, with no handicap, on any map with link. Plus he looked badass.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Link was clearly the superior character in the n64 version. I could beat three of my friends at a time, with no handicap, on any map with link. Plus he looked badass.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did your friends all suck? Have you ever played against a good roll/thrower? The best characters were Pikachu, Fox, and maybe Captain Falcon and Ness. I suppose it's slightly possible that I've just never seen a good Link.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:16 AM

Link was very powerful in SSBM as well, but exploitable. He was just a wildly popular character.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:35 AM

Link was terrible in the original. His 3rd jump was super easy to exploit if he barely got knocked off the edge of the map.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:39 AM

First of all, don't listen to these scrubs telling you that Link is good. He sucks.

The tier 1 characters are Fox, Marth, and Shiek/Zelda. Those are the best characters in the game and usually beat out the other characters if you play them right. Just feel out which one is best for you. According to your description of your playing style, Shiek or Fox would be the character for you.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

me and my friend actually play this game a ton while stoned. if you want a guy who's fast, has good aerial attacks and good roll, play with young link, or fox. young links downward thrust aerial sword move does some serious damage.

the three characters i use most: falco, young link, ness.

rj
Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, don't listen to these scrubs telling you that Link is good. He sucks.

The tier 1 characters are Fox, Marth, and Shiek/Zelda. Those are the best characters in the game and usually beat out the other characters if you play them right. Just feel out which one is best for you. According to your description of your playing style, Shiek or Fox would be the character for you.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo falco is the best player in the game and you left him off this list. lame. i hate shiek.

rj