Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 08:47 PM

Default Re: aspiring to do something important

Any good teacher challenges the student to answer his own questions. Imposing judgement on the student does nothing to advance his knowledge of himself.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, it's entirely possible that someone else would know better than you what to do with your life. The big question, though, is just how content you'd be letting everyone else make your decisions for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

you've implied here that I'd be letting somebody else run my life. I can be content letting some people influence my decisions.

Take a heroin addict for example. Somebody tells them, "you should go get help, here are some places to get help." Seems to me that then getting help would probably be a generally good idea in enhancing their "contentment".

I mean maybe these people are right. I should get a phd and try to come up with big ideas to help change the world. Maybe this would make me much happier with my life. If I knew I would be happier then I should definitely do this.

My father is a very similar person to myself and one of his biggest regrets is spending his twenties playing professional guitar. I'd rather not have any regrets.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 PM

OT question for OP--

I'm from St. Lou and graduated law school from the same university you're attending. Do you play live at St. Charles or Harrah's?

Reason I ask is my stepdad is a regular over there and is talking about how all these Wash U. kids are coming over with huge rolls playing 30/60.

I guess the question from both of us is-- where are all these kids (or you) getting their rolls?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:36 PM

a friend of mine was in your boat. Top physics student at a well respected university with a chance to go to Berkely to work on his phd. He turned it down to work in Alabama at Catholic school for two years. He eventually end up at Berkley.

The point being is he went out and discoved himself and then made a decision based on that. The more you know about yourself the better you are going to be for whatever you choose to do.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OT question for OP--

I'm from St. Lou and graduated law school from the same university you're attending. Do you play live at St. Charles or Harrah's?

Reason I ask is my stepdad is a regular over there and is talking about how all these Wash U. kids are coming over with huge rolls playing 30/60.

I guess the question from both of us is-- where are all these kids (or you) getting their rolls?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play nl200 to nl600 and mostly play online. I don't like limit, I wouldn't be one of those kids.

I do know a couple people at wustl who play nl200 and tournaments who might fit the bill
Old 06-01-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a friend of mine was in your boat. Top physics student at a well respected university with a chance to go to Berkely to work on his phd. He turned it down to work in Alabama at Catholic school for two years. He eventually end up at Berkley.

The point being is he went out and discoved himself and then made a decision based on that. The more you know about yourself the better you are going to be for whatever you choose to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

well I hope this is the case. I suppose playing poker isn't a particularly restrictive lifestyle.

I am considering moving down to california and applying to caltech once I have been there long enough.