Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Home Defense Options.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find that a fortified Longbowman with a couple of City Garrison promotions is enough to hold off essentially anything. Stack with a Pikeman for a high-quality home defense package.

[/ QUOTE ]

love that game

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU WOULD SALUTE IT BETTER BY MAKING ADDITIONAL REFERENCES, RATHER THAN JUST COMING OUT AND QUEERING THE DEAL. GENIUS.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:25 AM

1. security system that calls the police automatically
2. long, serious talk with you children in your no [censored] around voice about how if they hear that alarm they run for your room immediately.
3. pump action shotgun with appropriate trigger locks
4. kids and wife in your closet,"POLICE ARE ON THE WAY. (RACK THE SHOTGUN) I HAVE A CLEAR LINE OF SIGHT OF ANYONE COMING UP THE STAIRS, TAKE WHAT YOU WANT AND LEAVE"
5. i wouldnt even pull the gun out until i had my wife and kids tucked away somewhere, basically a you have to go through me first to hurt them thing.

also screw the silent alarm crap. get something super loud and obnoxious. you want the whole block awake which scares the burglars.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find that a fortified Longbowman with a couple of City Garrison promotions is enough to hold off essentially anything. Stack with a Pikeman for a high-quality home defense package.

[/ QUOTE ]

love that game

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU WOULD SALUTE IT BETTER BY MAKING ADDITIONAL REFERENCES, RATHER THAN JUST COMING OUT AND QUEERING THE DEAL. GENIUS.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, hire two archers and a warrior and have them fortify on your stairwell.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 AM

I sleep with a ninja sword next to my bed. Seems perfectly normal to me.

And, I almost used it 2 weeks ago when someone was trying to get in my front door. Unfortunately/fortunately, he couldn't break in and left.

I also have a 750K volt stun gun, various pepper spray dispensers (largest is a 1 pound canister), throwing knives, a wrist-rocket, throwing stars, nunchakus, butterfly knives, caltrops, bats, metal poles...

Next on my to-buy-list is a taser with laser targeting. I don't want to get a gun (or i'd use it).

Just having a bunch of unconventional weapons lying around and being naturally eccentric is a good defense. Neighbors and people in general don't know what to think. So, they are either really nice to me or the avoid me completely.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 AM

Keep it in a locked gun cabinet or safe.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:19 AM

Trigger locks are made for this type of situation.

A good old fashoned baseball bat is also a great for defense if you are weary of having a gun.

I'd advise against mace/pepper spray. My next door neighbor's kid found it, thought it was breath spray and shot herself in the mouth.

Honestly, if you are worried about your kids getting ahold of whatever self defense you decide on a bat seems to be the safest for kids.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:23 AM

This thread is sad.

Your kids could do a lot of damage with a paintball gun. Once you acutally shoot a bad guy with it, unless you hit him in the eye, he will shake it off and possibly come after you very pissed off.

A taser has one shot.

I agree completely with those who suggest a pump shotgun. Your kids are old enough to learn to respect guns and you could perhaps get a smaller guage gun for them to learn to shoot. For your purposes, a 12 guage pump will do fine. Perhaps a Benelli, Remington 870, or mossberg. They will cost you about $300. Take some courses on home protection (NRA has some good ones) They will discuss various stages of awareness/readiness for different situations.

You also must do whatever you can to secure your premises. Lighting, cameras, alarms, locks, dogs, etc. Hopefully you will never need your shotgun.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dog.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Word, OP, please address this option. 7 or 9 year olds are old enough to be around a dog, plus they probably want one anyway. Everyone wins!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2 dogs. Both useless. One is Keishond and Sheppard mix. Once is Dobie/Retriever mix. Neither would bite a muffin. I once had a friend of mine blow into town unexpectly and let himself in through the patio door that was unlocked (once again, I am careless). I came home to find said friend on my couch eating my chips with one of the dogs sleeping on the couch next to him. I asked, "Did the dogs do ANYTHING". The sheppard apparently rolled onto her back. This guy hadn't been to my house since i got these dogs. He was a stranger to them. No Rin Tin Tins in this bunch.

LLL

[/ QUOTE ]
Get a small dog, they love to bark at everything from big dogs, kids playing across the street, doors opening, and the wind.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the over/under at 35 minutes for a typical 10/11 year old to get this thing open.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I put the over/under at 35 minutes for a typical 10/11 year old to get this thing open.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially if she has her 14 y.o. bf helping