Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 05:40 PM

Default To lose weight quickest, what combo of cardio/weights?

I'm 6'0", about 225 pounds. I need to lose 30, would like to lose 40, and could easily lose 50 without being too thin.

For my diet, I am limiting carbs as much as possible, with one cheat day a week.

I have an hour per day for exercise. Should I:

run/walk on the treadmill for the full hour (covering about 4.5 miles)?

lift weights for 30 minutes, then run/walk for 30?

do something else?

What's the most efficient use of that hour of exercise to lose weight and burn fat?
Old 05-30-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Re: To lose weight quickest, what combo of cardio/weights?

If youve got an hour to spend everyday, then dont limit yourself to doing either or. There are 7 days in a week. Some of them can be spent on cardio, and some of them can be spent on weight lifting, and 1 or 2 days can be spend not exersising at all.

You are gunna get a million responses to this thread, all telling you whats the absolute best thing to do and that the other suggestions suck. The important thing is just to be active. Do some of everything, find out what you like doing the most and then do more of that.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 PM

Less calories in...More calories out
Old 05-30-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you crap more if you eat less?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:37 PM

I agree that you definitely don't want to do the same thing every day.
1) You'll probably get bored and there will be a greater chance that you won't stick with the routine
2) Lifting weights everyday is at best, inefficient and at worst, counterproductive.

I assume you want to "lose weight" for the purpose of increasing your overall fitness level and not to drop as much as possible to make weight for some activity (football, wrestling) or a bet.

Provided this is right, you definitely want to include some weight training about 3-4 days a week. Since you only have an hour, stick with compound movements (bench press, pullups, squats/deadlifts if you can do them) and you'll be able to hit more bodyparts in less time. Don't forget to warm up for 5-7 minutes on a treadmill before lifting, and start with warmup sets with your first excercises.

Building muscle is key because it'll increase your basal metabolic rate (helps with fat loss) and also gives your body shape. However, don't be disheartened at first if the scale doesn't move, because in effect you might be "exchanging" muscle for fat and thus, your overall weight might not change. IMO, it's a good idea to get your bodyfat tested beforehand, so you have a good starting point and can track your progress. BMI is decent- but again, it doesn't really differentiate between muscle and fat.

Do cardio on days you're not weight training. From what I've read, it seems like interval training is the current big thing. Google it, or check some bodybuilding forums for specs, but basically it's alternating all out sprints (on a bike, treadmill, road) with lower levels of exertion.

However, the most important thing is simply to DO the cardio. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:54 PM

I used to be overweight and lost 40 lbs in about 4 months...most of my exercise regime at that point was basic, and just running 4-5 times a week, and doing weights 2-3 days a week. So thats what I'd recommend...set aside some days for running, and a couple days for weights.

Combined with a healthy diet, the lbs come flying off. In the end, if you want to lose weight, your specific regime isn't quite as important as having the discipline to do it all
Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 PM

I would do cardio for 45 mintues and lift for 15. You can get a good lifting workout in 15 minues doing major body parts and doing high reps. Dont take much time in between sets either. Also try to super set 2 exercises at once. While doing bench press go to pulldowns/pull ups.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you crap more if you eat less?

[/ QUOTE ]

A calorie is a unit of energy.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:23 PM

Both is the correct answer.

I also like the idea of keeping your heart rate up by keeping your rest between sets short when lifting.

When you lift you might want to try to focus on building muscle with heavy compound exercises like squats and deadlifts. You burn mucho calories doing them and build muscle mass which burns more calories 24/7.

Get a good trainer to start so you learn good form, dont hurt yourself and they will have good ideas for you also. Ask around the gym for references.