Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: So I just bought Starcraft & other games...

For cs, the best practice is watching demos. Go to www.gotfrag.com , download some demos and play in some scrims with your friends. Players who play in matches are so much better than people who play in pubs, they have proper positioning, aiming techniques, etc. Concentrate on playing matches from the start.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:24 PM

Channel: 2+2

and post your b.net names
Old 05-30-2006, 05:31 PM

teamliquid.net
gosugamers.net
pgtour.net
wgtour.com
Old 05-30-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
be ready to lose every single game you play for the next few months.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why I now hate RTSes. I used to love playing them back in the days when it was either against an AI, or against co-workers, and there was no such thing as DSL or battle.net. (I.e., back when I thought I was good.)

According to every relevant flash game ever posted in OOT, I am already saddled with tragically pathetic 30+ year old reflexes. Add to that the fact that I have job/wife/kids and will never, ever, be able to put in the hundreds or thousands of hours into a game that my opponents online are putting in, makes it such that I simply can't compete. I tried to get in on AOE3 right away, before everyone else had a ton of experience on me, but the result was embarrassing. I read everything there was to read, watched replays, etc., but I was still like 1-15 online before I stopped trying.

I need turn-based strategy games, like Poker or MTG to not be a complete loser.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:04 PM

If someone can figure out a way to get around paying for battlenet I am down. I have been through like 3 computers since I played this game last
Old 05-30-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
be ready to lose every single game you play for the next few months.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why I now hate RTSes. I used to love playing them back in the days when it was either against an AI, or against co-workers, and there was no such thing as DSL or battle.net. (I.e., back when I thought I was good.)

According to every relevant flash game ever posted in OOT, I am already saddled with tragically pathetic 30+ year old reflexes. Add to that the fact that I have job/wife/kids and will never, ever, be able to put in the hundreds or thousands of hours into a game that my opponents online are putting in, makes it such that I simply can't compete. I tried to get in on AOE3 right away, before everyone else had a ton of experience on me, but the result was embarrassing. I read everything there was to read, watched replays, etc., but I was still like 1-15 online before I stopped trying.

I need turn-based strategy games, like Poker or MTG to not be a complete loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just on Battle.net yesterday for the first time in probably 5 years. Even though I'm incredibly rusty at the game, I still saw some really bad players there. Maybe because I was playing the big 3v3 maps instead of head-to-head games, but people are still turtling or are very slow to build units.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
www.replays.net

dl replays, watch over and over again, copy build orders.

don't try to understand the strategy, alot of their builds come off experience and is heavily situational

[/ QUOTE ]

you have it backwards.

First understand strategy, then copy build orders...

[/ QUOTE ]

Build orders are important to realize when you are able to build units. A common shortcoming of newbies is that they are out of supply when they need to build a unit. Knowing when to build supply units/overlords/pylons is essential to becoming a good player. The other common shortcoming of newbies is not building enough peons. You need to be constantly making peons to mine the minerals and gas. And build enough unit producing buildings. I remember being shocked when I first saw a battle report where a guy had 4 gateways. But after a playing a while, you realize you need lots of gateways (or hatcheries or factories, etc.)

Where strategy comes in is in what units to build. And that's greatly dependent on what your opponent is doing.

E.g., if you're playing zerg v. zerg against the computer, the computer seems to always go hydras. So you counter that with lings/mutas. But even something as simple as that may be too advanced for a complete newbie, because they have to realize what tech the opponent is doing (look for the den), then know the build order for mutas (pool, lair, spire), plus know when to get enough gas to go for mutas.

It's like the proverbial newbie poker player who doesn't know hand rankings--a lot of new players don't know what buildings are needed for what tech.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
www.replays.net

don't try to understand the strategy, alot of their builds come off experience and is heavily situational

[/ QUOTE ]

how do i watch these? i downloaded a .rep file but dont know what to do with it.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
www.replays.net

[/ QUOTE ]

how do i watch these? i downloaded a .rep file but dont know what to do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a copy of Starcraft to watch replay files.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
www.replays.net

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You need a copy of Starcraft to watch replay files.

[/ QUOTE ]

im an idiot. thanks.