Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best Album
Pinkerton 29 40.28%
Blue Album 43 59.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Deadwood v. The Sopranos

The characterization on The Wire is amazing. Amost everybody has some depth, nobody is cliche, it all feels authentic (save Brother Mozone, who is a black mark on the show, but slightly mitigated by his badassness).

It's an amazingly smart show. It doesn't treat the audience like idiots, but it's not hard to follow or grasp. It deals with real world issues without being preachy and managed to show you both criminal and police without an overdose of judgement.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:10 AM

I haven't seen any of The Sopranos, but Deadwood caught hold of me like just like the OP, just these past few weeks. It's really something amazing; hopefully the 3rd season will be even better. Especially the language, but also just the entire atmosphere of the show is like nothing I've ever seen on TV before.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:37 PM

Deadwood is a great show. Easily one of my favorite TV shows ever. Al Swearengen is probably my favorite character in any currently running TV show. Still, Sopranos is a better show overall.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM

Also, having just watched the Deadwood season 2 finale last night for the first time... is there any other episode in an HBO series with that much plot movement? There is in insane amount of [censored] going on in that episode, especially in the last 15 minutes.

*Spoiler*

Also... I totally didn't see Cy getting stabbed coming at all.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:47 AM

Well I can see everyones points here. I have seen most every HBO show from day one (with 3 notable exceptions). I used to really like the Soprano's (still do) but Deadwood is far superior to TS. I do not even think it is close. I think by everyone saying TS is the best show on TV today it is largely living on its rep. After season 2 it went from the top show to a top 5 show. That is normal for almost any show, it is tough to maintain the top when everyone is gunning for you.

I think Deadwoods problem with people watching is that it is kind of a bleak setting and the cursing turns people off initially. LOL If you can get past that, the characters are amazing, the writing and dialogue are great. Swearengen is probably the best Anti-Hero on TV or at least on par with Vic Mackey. BTW I loved the cursing I thought it was a gas the first moment they played Deadwood.

There is not a character I dislike. My favorite sub-character is Mr. Woo the way that actor delivers his 5 words is funny as hell. I laughed everytime he says San Francisco C-ckS--ker. I think the reason for Sol Starr's flat effect is to buffer Bullock's nasty temper. So in this context his character development is great as well. Well I could go on about the Doc and Jane and others but I do not want a 50 page dissertation on why I love the show and its characters.

It really is a shame this is going to be the last season. That totally sucks.

Here is my HBO show line:

Deadwood> The Wire> Oz>TS> Rome (did not like it much)>Carnivale (I really should not include it I only saw a few episodes and never got hooked).................... I did not or will not watch 6Feet Under or Big Love (will not)
Old 06-03-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One reason I've never watched The Wire is that I assumed it would be extremely bleak and depressing. Is that a fair assumption?

[/ QUOTE ]

No not really. I wouldn't call it upbeat but it is a great show.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:52 PM

i have seen every episode of the sopranos and am in the process of watching deadwood season 1. I agree the dialogue in deadwood is great. I enjoy deadwood more i guess.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:53 PM

i rank them 1. deadwood 2. the wire 3. sopranos

and i [censored] love sopranos
Old 06-04-2006, 06:09 PM

First of all, I can't comment on The Wire, because I haven't seen an episode.

After watching Season No. 1 of Deadwood, I was totally on the bandwagon. But the first four or five eps in the second season of DW had me down ... thought perhaps the 'Western' thing was perhaps something that only could go on for one season without it getting old.

I'll go back and watch the rest of DW2, but I just thought DW got old real quick and I lost interest in the characters, while The Sopranos has stayed strong (despite some down times) for the better part of six seasons with solid storylines and interesting character development.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:29 AM

Deadwood fans: Rent the DVD of Season One, just to watch the pilot episode with David Milch's commentary. He will quickly become your favorite person ever. Right now, if I could have dinner with anyone in America, I'd choose Milch.

Season Two just came out on DVD last week. I'm looking forward to another hour of Milch speaking.

HBO has announced that Season Three will be the last. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Looking forward to Gerald McRaney (Hearst) playing a big role this season.

Anybody else see the similarities between Swearengen and Fonzie? They both kick ass, they both have everyone in the neighborhood coming to them for help with their problems, they both get all the girls they want, they both live in a small efficiency upstairs...how much would you pay to see Fonzie talking through one of his problems, while Pinky Tuscadero was on her knees, giving him a hum job?