Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Nickeled and Dimed to Death

Consistently folding to little bets like this is clearly exploitable, but are $30 opponents that likely to exploit it? Is the flop worth a call? What about the river, am I even good one time out of ten? FWIW, BB hesitated a bit on the turn in a way that made me think he might have hit the A.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1295)
UTG+1 (t1800)
MP1 (t2290)
Hero (t3295)
MP3 (t780)
CO (t2550)
Button (t2455)
SB (t1985)
BB (t2330)

Preflop: Hero is in MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t150, UTG+1 calls t150

Flop: (t625) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100, BB calls t100

Turn: (t925) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

River: (t925) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets t100</font>, Hero ?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Nickeled and Dimed to Death

Would you call if you were heads-up against the villain (i.e. the BB had folded already)? That would be a leak, I think, against low buy-in opponents who often bet small as a low-risk bluff. However, with the BB behind you yet to act, I don't see why this would be a leak. It is pretty rare to completely bluff at a pot with two other players, especially to bet small and thus likely to get called by a king or ace. So this seems like a reasonable fold to me.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:17 AM

I usually raise the donk bet on the flop. The way it was played, with bb behind, I can't see how you're ever ahead.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:26 AM

I agree with Yuv, I would raise (300-400 toal) on the flop. This would give me all the information I need about the hand.

However, the way it was played...you have to figure the BB or UTG+1 for an Ace or King (cold calling your raise preflop). I think you get out of this situation very cheap, with a fold.

It is interesting that you are getting 10.25 to 1 odds on a call (not taking the BB into consideration). Would anyone like to do the math for this problem?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:21 AM

If this were heads up on the end I would certainly call just to see wtf they had.

We're not, BB had that hesitant check so he's likely to call. It seems a safe laydown.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:43 AM

If I call the flop I bet the A on the turn to fold out a K. The A on the turn is a great card to bluff at being the PFR.

I call the river as he will have a T 1 time in 9.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If this were heads up on the end I would certainly call just to see wtf they had.

We're not, BB had that hesitant check so he's likely to call. It seems a safe laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love calling down small bets on the river heads up to get a better read on people in spots like this.
Judging by how BB has played this hand I think he is defintely calling here or check raising.

So either you will get to see what someone was playing here or you'll confirm that you were most likely beat.
Can't see you being ahead of both of them here.