Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 02:30 AM

Default Help finding a hotel in Vegas

I'm planning on going to Vegas at the end of June and need help finding a hotel. First off, it needs to be within walking distance of the Rio, so maybe 1.5-2 miles away at most, and hopefully under $60/night as I prob won't spend much time there and don't care if it's a huge dump. High Speed internet would be a plus, but not if it's gonna make the room prohibitively more expensive. Do I have any options or am I going to have to spend $90+ a night?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Help finding a hotel in Vegas

Its crazy hot in late June in Vegas.

I have been out to Vegas for the WSOP the last two years and used the Rio-Harrahs Shuttle and Barbary Coast-Gold Coast shuttles constantly. Its a hell of a lot nicer than walking in that heat - and it lessens the blow when going into the sub artic poker (see convention) room at the Rio

Free Shuttles rock.... they go about every 20 minutes until around midnight, after that the temps are low enough where its not a bad walk as its ONLY 90 degrees out

On that note, stay at Imperial Palace, its easy to quickly get to those free shuttles during the day and either walk or take cabs late at night.

Imperial palace averages around $50-65/night that time of year.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the tip, but it looks like Imperial Palace is booked for a few of the days during the WSOP. After searching online a bit I'm considering the Golden Palm Hotel. It's pretty close to the Rio and only 35-40/night. Walking might suck, but it appears to be under a mile so it shouldn't be a huge deal.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 AM

Goldem Palm is not close to the Rio. It's on West Tropicana close to the I15 onramp. It's not walkable if that's what you're referring to and catching a cab there is going to be a major PITA. Orleans, Palms, Rio, Gold Coast are your best choices.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:10 AM

Golden palm is a scary lookin place, a tiny tiny dump.

The walk to Rio from anywhere is not fun. It is not a strip property, and you have to take a long round a bout path to cross the highway.

Stay farther away and cab it if necessary. Terribles is a decent hotel on the same road as the Rio, and there is a bus line that leads straight there avoiding the strip traffic.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:33 AM

'Fraid the only places I know of walkable to the Rio, other than Rio itself, are The Palms, Gold Coast, or the Extended Stay America on Valley View. Can't vouch for the safety or pleasantness of ExtendedStay. Palms will likely be more expensive than Rio each day. Gold Coast is a great choice if it's available, though it looks like it's sold out on June 27--otherwise it's $50 to $55 weekdays and $100 on weekends according to their current rate calendar. ExtendedStay looks to want like $70/night around the end of June.

Golden Palm would be a bad choice. You don't want to be trying to walk that. And if you Google a bit, you'll find a lot of unpleasant things said about Golden Palm.