Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Alan Goerhing

[ QUOTE ]
It would help if he said how much he had and how much daniel quach had. I think he is putting percentages where they fit to make his call look right. I doubt danile is moving in with 50 percent of hands dealt. Just because he has last 5 out of 10 doesnt mean he will percent of time. Just means he has the last 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said they both had between 10-12xbb. Are you deliberately being obtuse and not reading?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes i have played 10k buy in tournament against these guys. My foundation is seeing him call off all his chips with k8 off to win the title when that other kid had AJ. There is noway any top player would make that call. His reason was he was tired i think he said. There are many more examples. Look at hands howard discusses in op's link. What about getting it in with 55's against the AA's of jc tran. I'm not sure of blinds and how much tran bet so it might not be horrible but i suspect it was a bad play as tran was probably committed and best alan could hope for was a race.(turned out he flopped 1 out turned 2 outs and sucked out on river. i guess he deserved that championship right?) Top players look for better spots imo. How about calling off 800k with Aq off out of position twice(first time might not have been 800k but somewhat relative situations agaisnt the same person. There are many other over the years that i could mention that i dont remember but they were big mistakes. Phil Hellmuth has discussed many of his mistakes as have many others including Doyle i think(but dont quote me on doyle).

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is so ignorant it's either willful or retarded.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:52 PM

nath,

agree. if i were going to write a parody of a bad player critiquing a good player, it might read something like the quoted piece.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My foundation is seeing him call off all his chips with k8 off to win the title when that other kid had AJ. There is noway any top player would make that call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read Harrington on Holdem?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:15 AM

Default Re: I am putting 2 to1 on Smoothcall in Heads Up Match vs Goering

Why don't we call this forum censored news views and gossip. Lucky their is Tor Onion Server so we can just resign and use different ISPs. But this is not Vince. Sorry Alan Still would like to see the match. One of these days one of the best all around players online and live will meet you or the Hellmuth's or the Mortenson's and who ever else and there will be fireworks. Lucky for Tor Onion Server no one can really be banned from this site so Vince you can always sign if you want.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:33 AM

You guys are crazy to be debating if Alan is a good tournament player. Of course he is. As far as cash games go I would imagine he would use a different strategy.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:55 AM

I actually like his style against the opponents who frequent the $10k buyin tournaments. Satellite players, online qualifiers, etc.

The great thing is it takes a very astute player to adjust correctly. A bad player has no chance, a mediocre player will most likely overadjust to the aggressive side, and a decent->good TAG will most likely overadjust in the wrong direction. That leaves the expert player, and well, no "system" or strategy will work against them for long.

He plays small. He puts in small bets relative to the pot to the point where they need to work a much smaller % of the time to become a +EV play vs the standard 2/3 -> full pot bets.

Not only this, but he is risking a small amount of money in relation to the pot while the opponent must dedicate a much larger amount to play in the pot, whether it's a bluff or a raise for value.

His relentless blind defense create one hell of an image. People start to look for reasons not to play against his blind instead of looking at all that dead money in the pot. They begin passing up +EV plays constantly and it makes his play in the blinds much easier since he can narrow their hand ranges down.

I think his unusual floats are trying to build on that image even more. Now instead of risking 3BB to steal his blind, you have to consider the money you'll have to put in on the flop since he calls frequently pf. Oh, but wait! He calls the flop a lot too. All of a sudden you're risking nearly 10BB to steal two blinds pf. Add to the fact that he's going to outflop you 30% of the time or more on average if you were even ahead PF, it really changes the way you have to play. I think one of the biggest strengths of playing this way is that it causes a significant amount of the players to adjust incorrectly. You just need to figure out which way they're adjusting and play accordingly.

There is a lot more to this, and I'm sure only Alan knows the whole picture. His style seems to make all his decisions have a much higher chance of being +EV while forcing other players to dedicate much larger portions of their stack in relation to his bets. He also makes it so nobody wants to play against him, in or out of position. Figure your folding equity against a decent player, cut it in half if you're playing against Alan. All of a sudden a lot of "tough" players become fairly predictable and eaisier to play against while others are frustrated and pushing with relatively weak holdings. Add to the fact that he can have any two cards at any time, it's a nightmare.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
YOU HAVE PLAYED AN INSIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF VERY HIGH VARIANCE LIVE MTTS. RESULTS ARE NOT A BIG FACTOR. Again, you are showing your complete lack of understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right. I was just reviewing my last 27 $10k+ NLH WPT events over the last 3+ years, and the random odds of cashing in the top 10% 11 times (or more), as I have, are about 35,390 to 1. Better wait for more data.

Oh, and the random odds of being chipleader for most of day 2 at the LAPC for the last three consectutive years are 142,217,071 to 1. Could be I am a pretty good chip accumulator, or maybe I was just "running good".

BTW, the random odds of winning two of these $10k+ NL WPT events was only roughly 270-1 against (explains why five people have done it).
Old 05-30-2006, 01:22 AM

The one thing your failing to mention is if he keeps calling with dominated marginal hands he eventaully will run into a situaiton whhere he will go bust or lose a ton of chips when he flops top pair against an over pair or set. Let say he has his usual 94s and flop comes 9 high and opponent has an overpair. Its bye bye Alan. This is a key to why those hands shouldnt be calling raises when blinds are high. As once he get invovled it will be too late to get away from it because by the time he finds out the guy has an overpair he will have dumped off too many to fold.

And i doubt anyone doesnt want to be in a pot wiht Alan. Why would they? You have a very good chance of getitng doubled up everytime he plays. you gonna have the best hand most of the time and your less likely to put alot of chips in with the worst hand than he is.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:24 AM

He may be good the point is that none of them will be as good as Smoothcall. I would take him over any of these players. There may be only one or two that can compete with
Smoothcall. These guys have endorsements and Smoothcall has none and still makes a lot of money each month and that is a lot more then most tournament winners. Sometimes I wonder where the heads of these companies brains lie. They give endorsements to players who cannot play as good as the real good players do and then try to pump them up. The player who is really taking down the money who is also famous is not even asking for endorsements. These companies should be seeking him out. Many long time pros have not even been asked to wear a Jacket for 1000 dollars. This is why I say bring on the Goerhings, Hellmuths and the Mortensons. We shall see who the best is when they try to play Smoothcall. Smoothcall like he does to most other players in the world will destroy them and I don't care if it is a freezeout, a tournament format or a live game. Take it Limit or No Limit.