Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 08:04 PM

Default $33s- AJ facing turn cr

The Villain is 27/13. Note we both have big stacks.

PartyPoker $33 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t4370)
UTG+1 (t1640)
MP1 (t1830)
Hero (t3138)
MP3 (t1780)
CO (t1590)
Button (t1687)
SB (t2160)
BB (t1805)

Preflop: Hero is in MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, Hero calls t200, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t100

Flop: (t650) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t700</font>, Hero calls t700, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Turn: (t2050) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t700</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to t1400</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font> (The fold leaves me at about t1500)

My thought process (in white):
<font color="white"> Preflop: I have a decent hand, he has a big stack and has a sorta high VP$IP (27%). He only doubles it, so I decide to see a flop cleaply. Besides, I have a big stack too.
Flop: This is a pretty good flop. There are no draws out there. I have no reason to believe the BB has a hand. I'm really only worried if the UTG he has AK or AQ. Then he bets (more than the pot), this doesn't seem like he has AK or AQ to me, you'd think he would try to get some value. I haven't seen him overbet the pot like this before. So I call, planning on calling a bet on further streets if he keeps at it, but assuming he will check-fold (or check-call) on the turn realizing he's beat.
Turn: 9c He checks, so I figure he has unpaired high cards, a weaker A than I have, or a missed pocket-pair. I'm thinking at this point in the hand he is ready to give up or just call me down. I bet 700 and am check-min-raised. Here I'm absolutely baffled. I decide to fold, I conclude there's no way I'm ahead with his line, I'm almost positive that's accurate.

My guess is that he had 99. He tried to buy the pot on the flop which only had one overcard, makes sense. He then check-raised me after making a monster on the turn, which could also mean he had A9. Anyone else find this the most likely scenario?

It seems really unlikely that he played AK this way and I really doubt AQ can make that strong of a play on the turn. So I'm guessing A9 or 99.

Is my play okay here? I guess my preflop call is questionable. The flop bet is huge, but it doesn't seem like he has a great hand at this point, so I had to call I think. I didn't raise because I was hoping to get more money out of him and thought I was way ahead. Is my turn play standard?
</font>
Old 05-29-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: $33s- AJ facing turn cr

I'm folding this preflop, folding this after the huge flop raise and folding it to the turn min raise.

Call me weak/tight but Ace Jack gets you in too much trouble with flops like this.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:17 PM

Default Re: $33s- AJ facing turn cr

I'm always folding this preflop. You have position and chips, but why even get tangled right now with a hand like AJo? Why can't villain have AK or AQ here?

I would fold to his flop bet, too.