Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Set over set - spewing money

I've had this happen several times in the past week, maybe more than I can remember it happening in several months before.

1/2 limit at Paradise.

On the button with 55 and 66, I call a raise and flop a set. Both times up against a higher set.

UTG raise with 10/10 ... Couple of callers. Flop is QJ4. Make a continuation bet to see where I'm at. Get called, so I know I'm behind. Turn is a 10. Not a great card, as AK now has a straight. Bet. Called. River is a Q. Action gets capped between me and another player (button) who has JJ. First I was frustrated - why not 3-bet preflop with JJ on the button?

Anyhow, just wondering if I was doomed to lose money on these hands or would you slow down with bottom set? I mean, the purpose of 55 or 66 is to hit a set ... you need to win when you do and get as much money as possible.

Thoughts?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Set over set - spewing money

Every hand is obviously read dependant.

Getting your money in with a set/full house will be very good over the long run.

It sucks losing set over set. I've been "setted" 3 times in one day and gone for weeks without losing to a higher set. All in all I think it happens to rarely to worry that much about it.
\
Old 01-12-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Set over set - spewing money

I heard a quote once: "if you lose to set-over-set and you didn't lose a lot of money, then you played it wrong". Its supposed to hurt, there's nothing you can do.

And 1/2 hands go in micro-limit.