Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Alan Goerhing

Quote:
Quote:
($4.6mm gross winnings)
According to this web site it's $ 5,078,777. I'll pm you my neteller information and we can take care of that extra 478,777.
I was talking exclusively about open big buyin NL Hold'em events (i.e., $10k & up).
Old 05-29-2006, 02:05 PM

smoothcall did make a good point which i also realized in that you say you never claimed to be a good player but you do say youre a better deep chip player than phil hellmuth, so thats a bit contradictory. either way, arguing over it is silly and a waste of time. glad to have you here alan. i hope you didnt take any offense to my statements in this thread. ignore the people whove gone out of their way to intentionally irritate you. thats a problem we have with this forum. a few bad apples like to chase out known pros.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:07 PM

hate to sound like a fanboy here, but Alan is almost up there with Layne Flack in my book. (two guys who I would be genuinely interested to hear some of the ways they look at tournament poker - right or wrong - because it's seemingly from a different perspective than the vast majority.)

that in itself must create some form of an advantage.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:08 PM

Alan,

Don't take Smoothcall's words too seriously. This guy has been known to post egregious (sp) stuff that makes little sense with only the purpose to pester and annoy. Please keep posting.

The problem with this forum is a distinct signal/noise ratio, so if you can tolerate the noise you are more than welcome to share your thoughts here anytime.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I am surprised no one pointed out the non-static nature of poker players relative abilites over extended time periods.
Statistics NOT being my forte, could you eleaborate on the last sentence here? Are you talking about what we layman might refer to as hot streaks and/or slumps, or good players who start to play bad?

Also, since you are a well known structure-hound, doesn't it sort of bother you that the Bellagio-model structures jump from 100/200 a25 to 200/400 a25, thereby eliminating the nuance of the 150/300 level and a lot of the deep-stack benefits of starting with 20K? [/quote]

I like to look at LIFETIME $10k+ NLH results given the dearth of data points. Some players may not play the "same way" they did 5 or 10 years ago (for better OR worse), and even if the played the same, the skill level of the field (on average) may have changed. So, a ranking/rating will be the average quality over a time period, and may not refelect the player's current prowess. We could simply give more weight to more recent results/finishes, but this would only magnify the problem of insificient data points, and therefore on balance I think not worthwhile.

I believe it is a $50 ante at 200/400 (not 25). The Bellagio-model, at 27 hours to SC=BB is better than most $10k events (e.g. Mirage 24hrs, WSOPC 24hrs, Foxwoods 4/2006 22.5hrs), and gives 3 levels of "deep chip" (i.e. 100bb+) play compared to 2 levels for WSOP events. There is definately room for significant improvement, but I think the biggest weakness is where the BB goes $2k/$3k/$4k/$6k/$8k, which means playing at only about 35BB's at the start of the $6k & 8k levels, which is the middle of the tournament (If it were up to me I would add several levels, starting with 1200/2400).
Old 05-29-2006, 02:38 PM

Damn, I was hoping you had miscalculated and decided you didn't need that extra half a mil afterall and felt generous. I'm just needling you Alan, I find it sad that people on here want to bring down players better than themselves. Whether 4.6 mil or 5 mil, those are still pretty successful results.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 PM

post deleted- Dids
Old 05-29-2006, 02:48 PM

Thats fine you Alan are entitled to believe what you want. And i'm sorry if i upset you. I think i asked the same quesiton again becaue ift felt like you dodged it trying to say you wrent insinuating that you wee better than hellmuth. But i should have let you off the hook and let it go i you didnt want to answer.

There is no need to get angry with me. I wasnt meaing to get into an argument with you. If it seemed that way i apologize again.

I have the feeling that the reason you might have insulted and digged phil h. was beasue of how he has insulted you in print. And i don't blame you for wanting and doing that. He can be very ill-mannered. I guess i'm just saying you could have done it without making claims to boast yourself at the same time. It made you come off a little arrogant. Like if you just said what does phil h. know he hasn't played goo poker since 89. Eveyone would laughed and moved on.

Anyway it doesn't matter. And one last time i am sorry and maybe i was pushing you too far probing your statements like the senate would. Good luck in future. I hope to see you post in future as its always good to hear different styles and perspectives from poker players.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:48 PM

Well, no one asked (unless it's hidden between the smoothcall troll posts) so I'll give it a shot. You obviously play a very different style than what is "recommended" by pretty much every poker book I know. I understand you have no reason to share your strategy on an internet forum, but what about a book? Are you planning on writing one anytime in the future? Sounds like it will be a very interesting read.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:56 PM

Dids i'm being a good boy. i even apologized to Alan. Now why is josh a moderator calling names worthy of suspension and trying to start a flamewar with me. And telling other posters to ignore me. Is he a moderator too? I hope apropraite actions are taken. Josh is one of the bad seeds in these forums.