Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2006, 03:44 AM

Default AK in CO being trapped?

this might be standard, but i'm unsure of how i played this (at least up till the turn). what do you put the villain on here, big spades, JJ+? something else? i'll include my thought process on each street.

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05/$0.10
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $7.85
UTG+1: $10.05
MP1: $5.50
MP2: $4.75
Hero: $11.40
Button: $2
SB: $4.25
BB: $3.30

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $0.4</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, Button folds, SB calls, 2 folds.

i noticed that this guy (UTG+1) had been raising on a pretty wide range of hands, stuff like J8s, Axs, etc. so i figured i was probably ahead and reraised him. should i have raised a bit more? when the SB cold calls, i'm a little worried.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.5, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.1</font>, SB calls.

on the flop i'm really disliking my hand. SB is short and he's checked, so i figured i could afford to underbet the pot a little bit and still get a fold if he had missed the flop.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.7, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero checks.

he's c/c'd me on the flop and now he's checked on the turn. to me this is like him holding a big neon sign that says "i'm trapping you with a monster," (plus the spade draw is complete) so i check behind

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.7, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB is all-in $2.15</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $2.15 returned to SB.

pretty easy fold i think, even though i'm getting better than 2:1

Results:
Final pot: $4.7
Old 05-29-2006, 03:56 AM

Default Re: AK in CO being trapped?

I'd raise just a bit more pre-flop, my standard re-raise (and I would re-raise this) would be 3x the raise, so to $1.20.

I'd bet more on the flop. To about $2, your bet is not even half the pot. There's no reason to think you're behind here, and a good bet may get you the pot.

After SB calls, I'd probably slow down too. The fold to the river bet is fine too, there's so much junk SB can be holding that beats you...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:11 AM

Default Re: AK in CO being trapped?

if you want to reraise preflop in this hand, i'd say this hand kind of plays itself. i'd make it $1.40 preflop, so the pot would be about $4 ($3.95 to be exact) on the flop. he'd have less than $3 left, and my c-bet would tap him.

edit: to clarify, your pf raise is way too small, make it at least $1.20. your flop c-bet should be closer to the pot. if/when that gets called, you can generally shut down ... but of course, all of this depends on reads and stack sizes.