Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 04:31 AM

Default Standard push or easy fold?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t6280)
UTG (t3107)
MP (t4500)
Hero (t2365)
SB (t3748)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero...?

M is still 8, but I'm the smallest stack at the table. That means I need to be more liberal with pooshing, right? I'm new to SNG's so please let me know if that's a fallacy. Big stack in the big blind had started very tight but had begun to be very active, especially trying to steal my blind. He had just won a couple of big pots to move from a small stack to a large stack in the last few hands. Does the fact that he'd been active and lucky recently make him more likely than usual to call pooshes with marginal hands? Should that even bother me since I'm small stack? I hadn't played a hand for at least three orbits, probably more. So... votes for pushing or folding with a little reasoning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:37 AM

Default Re: Standard push or easy fold?

Harrington's M doesn't apply very much in SNGs because of the structure, so we mostly use ICM. For more information, check the FAQ. You're going to get a lot of flak just for mentioning it though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think you could possibly steal here with KT, but I'm folding because big stack is in BB. Yes, you are the small stack, but you are in no way hurting. Your stack is nice and healthy and can afford to wait for better spots. Try to avoid big stack if he's active, especially since he'll start widening his calling range as his stack increases.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington's M doesn't apply very much in SNGs because of the structure, so we mostly use ICM. For more information, check the FAQ. You're going to get a lot of flak just for mentioning it though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I think you could possibly steal here with KT, but I'm folding because big stack is in BB. Yes, you are the small stack, but you are in no way hurting. Your stack is nice and healthy and can afford to wait for better spots. Try to avoid big stack if he's active, especially since he'll start widening his calling range as his stack increases.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually did read the FAQ but at first glance it doesn't seem to me like ICM and the stack size in relation to the blinds are directly related. Instead of saying I have a stack with an M of 8, what should I be saying here? I have ICM of .13? What's the mean?

Btw, what range of hands should be pushed into the big stack here?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:11 AM

bump
Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 AM

Using M is a MTT thing- really nothing wrong with it at all, just the style here to talk in terms of big blinds.

Here you have 11 BB, and there's no really short stack. KTo is a fold here. Unless the blinds are fairly tight and could fold hands like 44,55, ATo, A9s to a push your range for and all-in would be something like ATo+, ATs+, 66+.

If the blinds are wicked tight, then KTo is on the edge of hands you'd still be correct to push with.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:36 AM

I fold this. I start pushing it at 1600 or so.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:54 AM

On this forum we usually deal with your stack size in proportion to the BB. If your stack is more than 10BB you're not in a push fold situation. This means that you can wait for a better hand to make a move.

With the given size of the blinds and the size of your stack there aren't any hands that you want to be pushing right here. If you have AA or KK you want to make a standard raise hoping for a loose call so you can double up later in the hand.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:59 AM

make it 500 if the blinds are tight enough, and fold otherwise. i only push with for 11bb+ here with hands like AQ+, 77+, where i'm likely to be ahead preflop but really don't want to see a flop.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:16 PM

You should fold there
Old 05-28-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
make it 500 if the blinds are tight enough, and fold otherwise. i only push with for 11bb+ here with hands like AQ+, 77+, where i'm likely to be ahead preflop but really don't want to see a flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree here....and as far as M talk goes, M is just fine...people telling you its not are incorrect, we just typically speak in terms of # of BBs here because M puts more stress on relative stacks in a MTT and we're always only dealing with 1 table in this forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but its okay to use. ICM is valuable for the equity of pushing but typically you still want to stick with the 10BB rule in spots like this, or, as quoted in my post, open where youre facing tight blinds and let it go otherwise.