Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2006, 02:25 AM

Default Free Card Play (Limit)

This situation recently came up in a discussion. The hand is basically made up and may not be the best example -

hero is MP2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
EP Limps, MP1 Limps, hero <font color="red">raises</font>, CO Calls / BB Calls, EP Calls, MP1 Calls (9.5 SB)
Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB Checks, EP Checks, MP1 Checks, hero <font color="red">bets</font>, CO Folds / BB Calls, EP Calls, MP1 Calls (13.5 SB)

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Normally, it's best to take a free card vs. several loose-passive opponents, but since our equity increased with that turn, I argued that it's not as important. That is, if hero had flopped the flush draw instead of turning it, then a turn blank would decrease his equity, and that makes getting a free card more valuable, but in the case of turning the flush draw, it's not as valuable.

Can anyone clarify this at all, or offer some thoughts? I thought it was an interesting situation.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:33 AM

Default Re: Free Card Play (Limit)

This doesn't make any sense.

If you need X equity to bet on the turn, that's how much equity you need to bet on the turn. It doesn't matter how much equity you had on past streets.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:52 AM

Yep, that makes sense now. w/r/t the example, is this a situation where you'd tend to take a free card?
Old 05-28-2006, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This situation recently came up in a discussion. The hand is basically made up and may not be the best example -

hero is MP2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
EP Limps, MP1 Limps, hero <font color="red">raises</font>, CO Calls / BB Calls, EP Calls, MP1 Calls (9.5 SB)
Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB Checks, EP Checks, MP1 Checks, hero <font color="red">bets</font>, CO Folds / BB Calls, EP Calls, MP1 Calls (13.5 SB)

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Normally, it's best to take a free card vs. several loose-passive opponents, but since our equity increased with that turn, I argued that it's not as important. That is, if hero had flopped the flush draw instead of turning it, then a turn blank would decrease his equity, and that makes getting a free card more valuable, but in the case of turning the flush draw, it's not as valuable.

Can anyone clarify this at all, or offer some thoughts? I thought it was an interesting situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that MP1 limp called preflop and then called a flop with absolutely NO draws leads me to believe that we are beaten here. Whether or not we should bet the turn here depends on how likely our opponent is to fold. Against tight opponents against whom we have some bluff equity I might try to bet here, but if we know our bet is getting called anyway I probably take a free card.