Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2006, 03:49 PM

Default 55$: AK in multiway pot

I played this hand earlier today. I haven't seen any of the players before. Villain doubled up through a set of deuces a few hands ago. He check-called all the way with two to a flush on the board.

You might find it boring, but it's not how I usually play AK:

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t955)
UTG+1 (t990)
MP1 (t960)
MP2 (t1000)
MP3 (t940)
CO+1 (t1875)
Hero (t1145)
Button (t55)
SB (t985)
BB (t1095)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="red">CO+1 raises to t55</font>, Hero calls t55, <font color="red">Button raises to t55 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t40, MP3 calls t40

Flop: (t285) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5 players)
BB checks, MP3 checks, CO+1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t285) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players)
BB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="red">CO+1 bets t285</font>, Hero calls t285, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>

River: (t855) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
CO+1 checks, Hero checks

I'm pretty sure this PFR checks a queen on the flop. 98% of the time the other players check their Q too. I wasn't too afraid of giving a free card. I'm either way ahead or way behind (of course JT could be out).
I have no idea whether his PSB on turn is a Q, K or some kind of pocket pair so I call.

Who bets the river after his check? I doubt that I beat anything, but obviously I didn't improve after the flop.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Re: 55$: AK in multiway pot

Looks reasonable. But betting the river would be pretty awful. What worse hand is going to call you? What better hand are you folding out?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:08 PM

Looks ok to me.

Looking at 'lead the flop' lines:
- spend t200
- someone calls [or you get reraised off the hand - assuming we can't discredit a Q]
- check behind on turn
- face value/block/bluff bet on river for x amount

t200+x &gt; than your line (except a "Q" would fire again on the river)

Of course, we DO give the draw - fwiw

River: Hmmmmm, Hard to see a "Q" not value betting here HU. What else are you behind? AA? Honestly though, with his line, I don't know that you get a hand to call you that you beat. I'd probably just check behind as well. But my river play sucks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2006, 04:13 PM

I thought about leading. I lead a K55 flop 100% of the time, but in this case I wouldn't get any information. The standard 55 player will not raise with a Q.

Well, you're right, I shouldn't even consider betting the the river.

Result: He showed KJo. Guess this is the reason I wanted to bet the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about leading. I lead a K55 flop 100% of the time, but in this case I wouldn't get any information. The standard 55 player will not raise with a Q.

Well, you're right, I shouldn't even consider betting the the river.

Result: He showed KJo. Guess this is the reason I wanted to bet the river [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

KJo that's what I was thinking (since you posted the hand) or JJ/TT.

I understand the thinking here is that we check behind because you're only getting called by a hand that beats us. But I don't that is the case. I'm pretty sure I'd throw out a bet on the river of t150-175 almost everytime. I just don't see any hand that beats us playing the flop, turn, and river the way villan did here.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks reasonable. But betting the river would be pretty awful. What worse hand is going to call you? What better hand are you folding out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without reading results, KJ or K10 or even an overly-optimistic JJ might make a crying call to a 1/2 pot on the river. The better question is, how often are hands that beat you checking the river? And how often are hands you beat going to blow you off your hand with a monster checkraise? Without doing the math, I think both chances are very low, and given how much weakness you've shown throughtout the hand I think worse kings and even some pocket pairs will call a reasonable-sized river bet.