Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2006, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Why do people spend so much time and money on cars?

I guess it is all relative. There is more to be said about nice cars than "they look nice and drive fast." Many of them are safer, have a smoother drive, and are built better.

Mid range cars are probably the best deal out there as they can provide a middle ground of all the features you want - why accords and camrys sell so well. However, if you can afford it I see nothing wrong with spending an extra $10k to get a bmw or the like. It is all relative to the level of enjoyment it will bring you w/o sacrificing necessities or your future.

Anything in excess can be bad but subtle or limited extravagance to gain a little luxury and style is ok in my book. I'll be making a solid salary as a lawyer next year and I could probably try to blow my wad and get an M3 or something like that, but instead I'll likely go for a lower 3 series or maybe a certified pre-owned. I'll still being putting in the full amount for my 401k, building my portfolio, paying off my loans, live in a nice place and save up for a piece of land.

For me it is totally worthwhile and I look forward to the lifestyle. I do understand what you are saying though. It is all about living w/in your means and being prepared for the future. But you cannot sacrifice your present and only live for the future. Enjoy it all.

Balance baby, balance.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because this is America and Americans are dumb and shallow.

I fully agree with you. Nothing dumber than financing a $70K Beamer and trading it in for $5K after driving it for 5 years and putting 100K miles on it.

This doesn't apply to people who purchase old beat up cars to fix up as investments. Those people are cool, and smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was stated earlier but I will repeat it, people don't buy cars as an investment. It isn't investment, they enjoy high quality automobiles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checkraise, this is precisely what makes them dumb. You should think of every dollar you spend as an investment. If a purchase is not an investment, then it should be strictly for utility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, so people shouldn't buy that shirt they like, they should get a Walmart one, and those nice golf clubs, better by the Costco set instead.

Never spend any money on something that is not an investment and not used for utility?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and nobody should eat at a restaurant or fast food joint because it's cheaper to by the ingredients at a grocery store and make the food yourself...

But, that's still a waste because you should live off the land and grow your own crops. Dig a well and you're set for life.

Vacations (air, hotel, car rental), movies, sporting events, amusement parks and any recreational activity would also be a waste of money. You should use this time to work a 2nd job to make more money to invest to make even more money.

People need to balance current and future goals.

I paid cash for my nice little sports car and make full use of it. I've never regretted this decision. If anything, I would have bought more cars.

I know guys who saved $ their whole lives and finally decided to buy their 'dream car'. But because they're in their late 50's, early 60's they now look stupid driving their 'dream car'. A ton of money at 60 can't buy the fun I've had with my meager bankroll in my 30's-40's.

I believe that if those posting in this thread were 30y.o., single and had a solid six-figure income with comparable savings, this thread would read very differently.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because this is America and Americans are dumb and shallow.

I fully agree with you. Nothing dumber than financing a $70K Beamer and trading it in for $5K after driving it for 5 years and putting 100K miles on it.

This doesn't apply to people who purchase old beat up cars to fix up as investments. Those people are cool, and smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was stated earlier but I will repeat it, people don't buy cars as an investment. It isn't investment, they enjoy high quality automobiles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checkraise, this is precisely what makes them dumb. You should think of every dollar you spend as an investment. If a purchase is not an investment, then it should be strictly for utility. A $20K car is fine for every human. A $20K car is strictly utility. A $70K (financed which means it ends up being much more) car is utility + $50K worth of worthless, superfluous crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the hell should I think of every dollar I spend as an investment? What kind of [censored] up world do you live in where every purchase needs to be an investment or have utility. What the is the point of making money if you don't spend it on [censored] you enjoy. They don't hand out spots in heaven baised on how much money you left your kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Satisfaction and pleasure are investments of the best kind, surely. There is nothing 'dumb' about spending money you can afford on your interests.

Ever eat out? Take a class for interest-only purposes? Take a vacation somewhere other than your own back yard? Wear a watch?!

OP is surely talking about over-expenditure. If you are spending within your means, spend whatever you want to.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is sadder a word? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're kidding, right?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
golf clubs is totally different...

lets be realistic here

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? People buy the nicest clubs every couple years. Never learn to hit them properly, instead of getting lessons, they spend the $400 on the R7 every 2 years.

Sell it for a huge loss to get the next newest one...etc

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you read my two replies to this style of argument? How is a $400 set of golf clubs every 2 years anywhere close to spending $50-60k on a car when you're let's say a 22 year old guy with a regular job?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're kidding, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure hope so.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

sadder is indeed a word.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:04 AM

I am much sadder now that you have posted this Victor [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2006, 06:00 AM

kurosh,

Read The Overspent American.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:12 AM

kurosh

become a car salesman and eventually try to own your own chain of dealerships.

fuji