Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Re: AQo Party 100NL 6max

[ QUOTE ]
How much are you leading on the turn for?

[/ QUOTE ]

about 2/3 pot.

[ QUOTE ]
How much are you check-calling on the river? This may just be a more expensive way to find out villain has a 5 than 3 betting the flop. After you 3 bet. a weaker Q is checking behind on the turn and probably checking behind on the river as well. A 3 bet slows down any non-5 hand and will probably get us a cheaper showdown than calling flop-leading turn or c/c turn and leading river. (Why you take this line is beyond me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

My line does lose a bit more if he has a 5. But it wins a TON more if you are winning. Why do you want to get to a cheaper showdown when you're beating him? He is also quite unlikely to have a 5 because of a) preflop action, and b) there are two 5s on the board already. Much more likely to have a weaker Q or an underpair, with a slight chance of AA/KK.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the fact that this is a dry flop is completely irrelevant because the 3bet isn't designed to protect our hand, it's purpose is to let us know where we stand and to see if we can get to showdown on the cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to cure yourself of this thinking. The definition of a bad line is one that is designed to get you to showdown cheaply if you're ahead, but not if you're behind.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:02 PM

Lemniscate, if you c/c turn and lead river you can easily fold to a river raise. I do agree with you that call flop, lead turn, c/c river is probably best.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:29 PM

Assuming 100BB stacks, if you take your line, which is call minraise, lead turn, c/c river, you will have put in 46BB leaving 54BB making it much more difficult to get away from this hand on the river.

I want to get a cheap showdown because we have a decent hand OOP that may or may not be good.

[ QUOTE ]
He is also quite unlikely to have a 5 because of a) preflop action, and b) there are two 5s on the board already. Much more likely to have a weaker Q or an underpair, with a slight chance of AA/KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be joking. Your range is way too limited, especially for someone on the button. You never call a raise on the button with a hand like 56suited, 57suited A5suited etc. etc.?? We can all but rule out AA and KK here. I don't necessarily see how your line will make us a TON more than 3betting the flop. Will a smaller pair call a lead on the turn? Also, I am not a math guy, but isn't he just as likely to have a Q as he is to have a 5?