Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 02:56 PM

Default Good bluff, or just spew?

Based on some of the replies in this forum, people are either way too passive when playing, or I'm way too aggressive. Here's an example of what I would consider aggressive play on my part.

Is this a decent play, or should I tone my game down?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (8.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>
Old 05-25-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Good bluff, or just spew?

I think that's total spewing, and if you won, you got lucky.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:22 PM

I go off like this every now and again, but when i do it has to be read dependent... and you don't supply any reads...

you just got yourself stuck in a world of aggression here and are spewing like a teenage girl with a fifth of vodka in her...

even when i do pull stunts like this, i consider it negative EV, and when it doesn't work i chalk it up to very expensive LAG advertising/ entertainment for the bored crablegs...
Old 05-25-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

even when i do pull stunts like this, i consider it negative EV, and when it doesn't work i chalk it up to very expensive LAG advertising/ entertainment for the bored crablegs...

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that I'm not so positive that it is actually -EV at the party 2/4 tables. I would estimate that I probably get away with this 60-70% of the time (I wish there was a poker office report that could show me stats on this).
I've only got 5k hands at that level right now though, so it certainly could be a skewed perception on my part. The tables are night and day different than the 1/2 level though (way more passive).

[edit]
There's an added bonus in that if you do get caught ever with this play you can guarantee call downs when you do have a hand. Those guys HATE getting bluffed.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:50 PM

i'm thinking of the teenage girl with a 5th of vodka in her. that situation, probably, could lead to some trouble...having played my fair share of hands, i have come to the conclusion that attempts at button semi-stealing with hands like j,10 (o) are just not worth it....same thing with j.10 (s) lol
Old 05-25-2006, 03:55 PM

If you're gonna spew, don't spew like this.

Not really, this is awful spewage. I would hazard a guess that you got called down and pissed away about 5BB in the process.

We all pull moves like this, but I think I'd be better off if I just played my solid game and didn't try to get overly fancy.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm thinking of the teenage girl with a 5th of vodka in her. that situation, probably, could lead to some trouble...having played my fair share of hands, i have come to the conclusion that attempts at button semi-stealing with hands like j,10 (o) are just not worth it....same thing with j.10 (s) lol

[/ QUOTE ]

tsrcess it depends on the limper and the blinds.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably get away with this 60-70% of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

It would need to work this often to be profitable in a pot this size.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 PM

Without a very specific read, I'd just fold to the turn donk. He's got an ace, two pair, or a straight here most of the time. Even if he just has an underpair or a 6, he might call down anyway. I don't really like pf either, unless you have a specific read that the blinds are tight and MP is really weak.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:48 PM

there are more categories than aggro and passive. there is smart aggression and dumb aggression...poker is more about picking the right spots to be aggressive. mindless aggression is a sure way to go broke when people adjust to you and just call you down.